Latest News
US slips out of Bagram silently without notifying new commander
The U.S. left Afghanistan’s Bagram Airfield after nearly 20 years by shutting off the electricity and slipping away in the night without notifying the base’s new Afghan commander, who discovered the Americans’ departure more than two hours after they left, Afghan military officials said, the Associated Press reported.
The U.S. announced Friday it had completely vacated its biggest airfield in the country in advance of a final withdrawal the Pentagon says will be completed by the end of August.
“We (heard) some rumor that the Americans had left Bagram … and finally by seven o’clock in the morning, we understood that it was confirmed that they had already left Bagram,” Gen. Mir Asadullah Kohistani, Bagram’s new commander said.
U.S. military spokesman Col. Sonny Leggett did not address the specific complaints of many Afghan soldiers who inherited the abandoned airfield, instead referring to a statement last week, AP reported.
The statement said the handover of the many bases had been in the process soon after President Joe Biden’s mid-April announcement that America was withdrawing the last of its forces. Leggett said in the statement that they had coordinated their departures with Afghanistan’s leaders.
Before the Afghan army could take control of the airfield about an hour’s drive from the Afghan capital Kabul, it was invaded by a small army of looters, who ransacked barrack after barrack and rummaged through giant storage tents before being evicted, according to Afghan military officials.
“At first we thought maybe they were Taliban,” said Abdul Raouf, a soldier of 10 years. He said the the U.S. called from the Kabul airport and said “we are here at the airport in Kabul.”
As of last week, most NATO soldiers had already quietly left. The last U.S. soldiers are likely to remain until an agreement to protect the Kabul Hamid Karzai International Airport, which is expected to be done by Turkey, is completed, AP reported.
Bagram was a massive facility, the size of a small city, that had been exclusively used by the U.S. and NATO. AP reported that the sheer size is extraordinary, with roadways weaving through barracks and past hangar-like buildings. There are two runways and over 100 parking spots for fighter jets known as revetments because of the blast walls that protect each aircraft. One of the two runways is 3,660 meters long and was built in 2006. There’s a passenger lounge, a 50-bed hospital and giant hangar-size tents filled with supplies such as furniture.
Kohistani said the U.S. left behind 3.5 million items, all itemized by the departing U.S. military. They include tens of thousands of bottles of water, energy drinks and military ready-made meals, known as MRE’s.
“When you say 3.5 million items, it is every small item, like every phone, every door knob, every window in every barracks, every door in every barracks,” he said.
The big ticket items left behind include thousands of civilian vehicles, many of them without keys to start them, and hundreds of armored vehicles. Kohistani said the U.S. also left behind small weapons and the ammunition for them, but the departing troops took heavy weapons with them. Ammunition for weapons not being left behind for the Afghan military was blown up before they left.
Afghan soldiers who wandered Monday throughout the base that had once seen as many as 100,000 U.S. troops were deeply critical of how the U.S. left Bagram, leaving in the night without telling the Afghan soldiers tasked with patrolling the perimeter.
“In one night, they lost all the goodwill of 20 years by leaving the way they did, in the night, without telling the Afghan soldiers who were outside patrolling the area,” said Afghan soldier Naematullah, who asked that only his one name be used, AP reported.
Within 20 minutes of the U.S.’s silent departure on Friday, the electricity was shut down and the base was plunged into darkness, said Raouf, the soldier of 10 years who has also served in Taliban strongholds of Helmand and Kandahar provinces.
The sudden darkness was like a signal to the looters, he said. They entered from the north, smashing through the first barrier, ransacking buildings, loading anything that was not nailed down into trucks.
On Monday, three days after the U.S. departure, Afghan soldiers were still collecting piles of garbage that included empty water bottles, cans and empty energy drinks left behind by the looters.
Kohistani, meanwhile, said the nearly 20 years of U.S. and NATO involvement in Afghanistan was appreciated but now it was time for Afghans to step up, AP reported.
“We have to solve our problem. We have to secure our country and once again build our country with our own hands,” he said.
Latest News
Afghanistan’s Chief of Armed Forces underscores readiness and equipment for national defense
The ceremony marked the eighth graduation from the 313 Central Corps Training Center, with 153 soldiers officially completing their training.
Afghanistan’s Chief of Armed Forces, Fasihuddin Fitrat, has emphasized the vital importance of military readiness and proper equipment.
Speaking at the graduation ceremony of 153 personnel from the 313 Central Corps, Fitrat stressed that preparedness is essential to defend against those who challenge the unity, strength, and honor of the Islamic system and the Afghan people.
He highlighted that even during past sensitive and challenging conditions, the Islamic Emirate maintained fully trained and equipped forces.
The Ministry of Defense reiterated that maintaining readiness and proper armament is both a religious and national duty. Leaders of the Islamic Emirate have historically ensured that their forces remain prepared under all circumstances, the ministry added.
The ceremony marked the eighth graduation from the 313 Central Corps Training Center, with 153 soldiers officially completing their training.
Officials highlighted that the Islamic Emirate continues to prioritize the comprehensive readiness of its forces to counter any potential threats to national security.
Latest News
Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan shift to opportunity-focused approach on Afghanistan; regional cooperation highlighted
Esmatullah Ergashev, Uzbekistan’s special representative for Afghanistan, noted that Central Asian countries plan to advance joint projects in Afghanistan and further expand regional cooperation.
Astana recently hosted an extraordinary meeting of the Regional Contact Group on Afghanistan, bringing together representatives from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan to discuss regional engagement and cooperation with Afghanistan.
Yerkin Tokumov, Kazakhstan’s special presidential representative for Afghanistan, said the country is moving away from viewing Afghanistan solely as a security concern and is adopting an opportunity-driven approach.
He stressed the importance of strengthening political, economic, trade, and transit ties, highlighting Afghanistan’s role as a strategic bridge between Central and South Asia.
Esmatullah Ergashev, Uzbekistan’s special representative for Afghanistan, noted that Central Asian countries plan to advance joint projects in Afghanistan and further expand regional cooperation.
The meeting underscores a growing consensus among Afghanistan’s neighbors to leverage opportunities for partnership, aiming to foster regional stability, enhance economic integration, and support sustainable development initiatives in the country.
Latest News
Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat extends electricity import agreement with Iran for 1405
Afghanistan remains heavily dependent on imported electricity, with a significant share of its power supplied by neighboring countries including Iran, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Tajikistan.
Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS), Afghanistan’s national power utility, has signed an agreement with Iran to continue importing electricity for the solar year 1405 (2026–2027), as part of efforts to stabilize power supplies amid growing domestic demand.
The agreement was signed during an official visit to Iran by a high-level DABS delegation led by its Chief Executive Officer, Alhaj Mullah Abdul Haq Hamkar.
The delegation held extensive meetings with Iranian energy officials in Tehran, focusing on the extension of existing power purchase arrangements as well as broader cooperation in electricity transmission and infrastructure development.
According to DABS, the discussions also addressed technical coordination, capacity expansion, and the reliability of cross-border electricity transmission lines linking the two countries. The visit was conducted at the invitation of Tavanir, the Iranian state organization responsible for electricity generation, transmission, and distribution.
Afghanistan remains heavily dependent on imported electricity, with a significant share of its power supplied by neighboring countries including Iran, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Tajikistan.
Domestic power generation covers only a fraction of national demand, particularly during winter months and periods of peak consumption, making long-term import agreements critical for maintaining supply to urban centers and industrial zones.
DABS officials said sustained engagement with regional electricity-exporting countries has helped strengthen energy cooperation and improve procurement planning.
The extension of the agreement with Iran is expected to support energy security, reduce supply disruptions, and provide greater predictability for Afghanistan’s power sector as authorities continue to explore domestic generation and renewable energy projects.
-
Latest News2 days agoAfghanistan’s defense ministry unveils new military uniforms for armed forces
-
Latest News1 day agoIEA releases three Pakistani soldiers to mark Ramadan
-
Latest News3 days agoTajikistan: Recent attacks from Afghanistan aimed at damaging our relations with China
-
Latest News4 days agoUN warns mass return of Afghans from Pakistan and Iran is pushing Afghanistan to the brink
-
Business3 days agoIran–China rail link via Afghanistan proposed to cut transit time
-
Latest News1 day agoGrateful to Afghans and Ulama for obeying the Islamic Emirate, says Hibatullah Akhundzada
-
Latest News4 days agoJapan maintains direct contacts with IEA officials through Kabul Embassy
-
Latest News3 days agoIran would prevail in potential conflict with the United States, says IEA spokesman
