Latest News

UN ‘saddened’ by death of five children from explosive remnant of war

Published

on

(Last Updated On: )

UNICEF said it is deeply saddened by the killing of five children, one girl and four boys, when an explosive remnant of war (ERW) detonated on Friday in Marjah District in Helmand Province.

Two other children, a boy and a girl, were also injured in the explosion.

“This latest incident is far from being an isolated case. In Afghanistan, in the last seven months, 301 children were either killed or injured by explosive remnants of war and landmines. The real figure is thought to be much higher,” UNICEF said in a statement.

UNICEF meanwhile warned that concerns are growing that such accidents involving children and ERWs will continue to rise especially as the security environment has become more permissible and civilians are venturing into areas that were previously off-limits.

“Children are at high risk of death from unexploded ordnance in Afghanistan, including when they are tasked with collecting metal scraps to supplement meagre family incomes,” UNICEF said.

UNICEF in turn urged all parties to adhere to their responsibilities and step-up efforts to clear existing mines and unexploded ordnance, provide victim assistance, educate children and communities about the risks and preventive measures to take, and ensure that children live in safe and protective environments.

Trending

Exit mobile version