Connect with us

Latest News

UN Staff Members Killed, Abducted in Kabul

Ariana News

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: January 22, 2018)

A UN staff member was killed and another one abducted earlier on Monday in Kabul, security officials said.

The incident took place at around 6:00 am in police district 17th of Kabul City.

“A woman who is believed to be a UN staff member has been abducted with her child and her driver has gone missing who might be the abductor,” said Basir Mujahid, the spokesman of Kabul Police Chief.

Mujahid noted that the other UN staff member who attempted to prevent the hostage-taking was killed by the abductors.

“A woman who works at UN was abducted in the morning and her driver has also gone missing, but the abductors have not been identified so far,” said Shir Muhammad, an inhabitant of the 17th police district.

Kabul Police refused to share the identities of the killed and abducted UN staff members with the media outlets.

“Police found a car parked around 300-kilometers away of the site and a purse belonging to a female inside the car,” said Ahmad Elham, another inhabitant of the area.

No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the incident so far.

The United Nations office in Kabul has not commented regarding the incident so far, but Kabul Police emphasized to start an investigation in coordination with the UN office.

Previously, the UN office voiced deep concern over the security of its staff and called Afghanistan one of the dangerous places for UN.

“Unfortunately Afghanistan has proven to be a dangerous country for none governmental organizations.  We have lost our staffs including 2017. We demand all the parties that please respect the humanitarian institutions and agencies,” said Toby Lanzer, the UN Deputy of Special Representative for Afghanistan.

A total of 28 United Nations personnel lost their lives in 2016 and the first half of 2017, owing to acts of violence and safety-related incidents.

The United Nations has a mission in Afghanistan with staff at a number of compounds across the country.

Latest News

Roadside mine blast kills six civilians – Ghazni

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 12, 2020)

At least six civilians were killed and eight more wounded in mine blast in central Ghazni province, a local official confirmed.

Wahidullah Jumazada a spokesman for the provincial governor told Ariana News that the incident happened after a vehicle carrying civilians hit a roadside mine in the Jaghato district of the province.

The incident has taken palace in Dare Qyaq area – people call it valley of death where Taliban militants have a huge presence – of Jaghato district on Saturday afternoon.

Jumazada said that the Taliban had planted the mine in which “six civilians including women and children were martyred and eight others wounded.”

He added that all wounded individuals were taken to the hospitals.

The Taliban militant group has not made a comment about the incident yet.

The Taliban fighters reportedly frequently target civilians and government employees Dare Qyaq of Ghazni to show their presence in the Jaghato district.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Afghan forces push back Taliban attack in Faryab, killing 14 militants

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 12, 2020)

The Afghan forces have pushed back the Taliban attack in Faryab province, the Afghan military said.

In a statement released on Sunday, the 209 Shaheen Corps said that the militants attacked the Afghan security and defense forces in the Dawlatabad district of the province on Saturday afternoon.

According to the statement, the attack faced “fierce resistance” by the Afghan forces.

At least 14 Taliban militants including Haji Naasir, the Taliban designated district chief’s father – for Shirin Tagab – were killed in the clashes, the statement said.

Meanwhile, the group’s red unit commander Mulla Zaqawi along with 10 insurgents were wounded in the incident.

The Taliban militant group yet to make a comment on the matter.

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan, son Abhishek test positive for Coronavirus

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 12, 2020)

Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan and his son Abhishek Bachchan were tested positive for Coronavirus, Bachchan confirmed.

 “I have tested CoviD positive..shifted to Hospital.. hospital informing authorities .. family and staff undergone tests, results awaited,” Amitabh Bachchan said in a tweet on Saturday night.

Both actors have been admitted to a hospital in Mumbai, India.

The 77-year-old actor also urged all those who have been in close proximity with him in the last 10 days to get themselves tested for COVID-19

Meanwhile, Abhishek has informed that they have ‘mild symptoms.’

“Earlier today both my father and I tested positive for COVID 19. Both of us having mild symptoms have been admitted to hospital. We have informed all the required authorities and our family and staff are all being tested. I request all to stay calm and not panic. Thank you,” Abhishek wrote on Twitter.

It comes as the number of COVID-19 cases in India has risen to 820,916 with 22,123 deaths and 515,386 recoveries.

Continue Reading

Trending