Connect with us

Latest News

U.S. To Give Pakistan Chance to Strike Terrorist Targets: Tillerson

Ariana News

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: November 1, 2017)

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has informed the Congress that Pakistan is prepared to focus on terrorists if offered info and Washington plans to present Islamabad the chance to show it.

At a Senate International Relations Committee hearing on Monday evening, American lawmakers also warned that if the United States insisted on having the choice of first strike towards a nuclear-armed nation, it may ship a unsuitable sign to different nations with nuclear weapons. They notably talked about India and Pakistan, two nuclear nations with strained relations.

Although the hearing was on the U.S. president’s authority to go to war, Senator John Barrasso, a Wyoming Republican, asked Mr Tillerson to share with the committee what he heard from Pakistanis during his visit to Islamabad last week.

“Pakistanis have indicated, if we provide them information they will act. We’re going to have to test that, give them an opportunity to do so,” Secretary Tillerson replied. “So, we are going to enter into an effort to have greater sharing of certain intelligence information.”

Senator Barrasso also referred to US President Donald Trump’s Aug 21 speech who said that “a pillar” of his new strategy for Afghanistan was “to change the approach in how to deal with Pakistan”.

The senator reminded Mr Tillerson that while travelling in South Asia last week, he too talked about “setting certain expectations” for the government of Pakistan and also about putting in place “a mechanism of cooperation through information sharing and action” to deny terrorist outfits the ability to launch attacks.

“So, could you talk a little bit about what is the change in the approach to Pakistan and maybe some of the expectations that you’ve articulated for the Pakistani government … in terms of what this cooperation is going to look like?” he asked.

Secretary Tillerson said he could only share “some broad contours” of Islamabad visit in a public hearing and if the senators wanted more, he was willing to sit with them for a closed hearing.

“But the conversation with the Pakistani government is for them to recognise that they will be one of the greatest beneficiaries of a successful peace process in Afghanistan,” he said.

Secretary Tillerson stated he hoped his go to will pave the way in which Pakistan opinions the Afghan state of affairs. “Pakistan will discover it of their pursuits to start to disassociate these long-standing relationships which have developed over time with sure terrorist organisations,” he added.

He claimed that Pakistan did have long-standing relations with the Haqqani community and the Taliban, which could have served their function for stability up to now however they now not served that function.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

COVID-19

Afghanistan Coronavirus updates: 85 new cases, total 34,451

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 12, 2020)

Afghanistan has recorded 85 new Coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, the lowest number in daily cases in the last two months.

In a daily COVID-19 update released on Sunday, the Ministry of Public Health said the cases were reported in Kabul (14), Herat (18), Kandahar (5), Bamyan (20), Nangarhar (4), Takhar (10), Kunduz (3), Badakhshan (8), Wardak (1), Laghman (1), and Kunar (1).

It brings the total infections to 34,451 in Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, 16 Coronavirus patients have died in the past 24 hours, bringing the total fatalities to 1010 in the country.

According to the updates, the death cases were registered in Kabul (12), Herat (2), and Kandahar (2).

The Health Ministry further said that 81 patients have recovered and fully discharged from hospitals in the past 24 hours.

So far, 21,216 people have recovered from the virus in Afghanistan since the first COVID-19 case was detected in Herat about four months ago.

There are 12,684,409 cases tested positive worldwide, with 564,506 deaths and 6,981,170 recoveries.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Roadside mine blast kills six civilians – Ghazni

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 12, 2020)

At least six civilians were killed and eight more wounded in mine blast in central Ghazni province, a local official confirmed.

Wahidullah Jumazada a spokesman for the provincial governor told Ariana News that the incident happened after a vehicle carrying civilians hit a roadside mine in the Jaghato district of the province.

The incident has taken palace in Dare Qyaq area – people call it valley of death where Taliban militants have a huge presence – of Jaghato district on Saturday afternoon.

Jumazada said that the Taliban had planted the mine in which “six civilians including women and children were martyred and eight others wounded.”

He added that all wounded individuals were taken to the hospitals.

The Taliban militant group has not made a comment about the incident yet.

The Taliban fighters reportedly frequently target civilians and government employees Dare Qyaq of Ghazni to show their presence in the Jaghato district.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Afghan forces push back Taliban attack in Faryab, killing 14 militants

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 12, 2020)

The Afghan forces have pushed back the Taliban attack in Faryab province, the Afghan military said.

In a statement released on Sunday, the 209 Shaheen Corps said that the militants attacked the Afghan security and defense forces in the Dawlatabad district of the province on Saturday afternoon.

According to the statement, the attack faced “fierce resistance” by the Afghan forces.

At least 14 Taliban militants including Haji Naasir, the Taliban designated district chief’s father – for Shirin Tagab – were killed in the clashes, the statement said.

Meanwhile, the group’s red unit commander Mulla Zaqawi along with 10 insurgents were wounded in the incident.

The Taliban militant group yet to make a comment on the matter.

Continue Reading

Trending