At least 45 Taliban militants including three shadow district governor of the group were killed in an airstrike in northern Balkh province, Ministry of Defense (MoD) said in a statement.
In a statement released on Sunday, MoD said that the air operation was conducted at Bodana Qala area of Shulgara district of Balkh.
As a result, nine key commanders of the Taliban were also killed in the strike, the statement said.
The statement identified the Taliban commanders as:
- Abdul Ghani, also known as Turabi, the Taliban shadow district governor Charbolak district of Balkh province.
- Mawlavi Hanan, the shadow district governor for Sholgar district of the province.
- Gul Nabi, also known as Mubariz, the shadow district governor for Chimtal district of the province.
- Dad Mullah, the Taliban deputy shadow district governor for Sholgar.
- Rasoul Jan Saadat, the Taliban designated spy for Chimtal district.
- Mawlavi Jawid, military chief of the Taliban for Chimtal.
- Mawlavi Najibullah and Mawlavi Nazir Taliban key commanders for Sholgar.
- Abdul Hai, also known as Mansoor, a Taliban key commander for Chimtal.
The Taliban militant group yet to make a comment about the incident.