Connect with us

Latest News

There Is No Military Solution to the Situation in Afghanistan: US Official

Ariana News

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: February 28, 2018)

The U.S. State Department on Tuesday said there is no military solution to the situation in Afghanistan and ultimately there has to be a political solution.

“Ultimately, we don’t see there being a military solution to the situation in Afghanistan. Ultimately, it has to be a political situation,” State Department Spokeswoman, Heather Nauert told reporters.

She called the Kabul Process Conference an initiative by Afghan government that tries “to bring together different international partners to coordinate international efforts to support Afghanistan’s pursuit of peace”.

On Wednesday, President Ashraf Ghani offered unconditional peace talks to the Taliban. Recognizing the group as a legitimate political party and offering them an office in Kabul were among the suggestions to the insurgent group.

But the U.S. official said the Taliban at this point of time does not seem to be ready for peace talks.

“The Taliban, unfortunately, does not seem ready at this point to sit down and have conversations about peace talks,” Nauert said.

She said they have seen the Taliban letter to the U.S., asserting that any peace talks with Afghanistan have to be Afghan-led and Afghan-owned.

The U.S. official further added that if the Taliban was willing to sit down and have talks with Afghan government, the US could have a role in that.

Meanwhile, U.S. Gen. Joseph L Votel, commander of U.S. Central Command, testified before the House Armed Services Committee said any success in Afghanistan will require a strong relationship with Pakistan.

He said the United States has tried to be very clear in terms of what Pakistan needs to do for Washington and that it must be “a two-way street”.

Votel told the House that the big idea in Afghanistan is a “drive toward reconciliation” to get the Taliban to the negotiation table.

Featured

UK’s Halo Trust hires former Taliban fighters to clear mines 

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: October 26, 2020)

Hundreds of former Taliban fighters are exchanging their weapons for mine-detectors after being recruited to clear IEDs by British charity The Halo Trust. 

The former commander of British troops in Helmand province, who is now Halo’s chief executive, James Cowan, told the Daily Mail in an interview that although he had lost 64 of his soldiers to the Taliban, he felt they now shared a “common sense of purpose” and were “honourable” men.

The Halo Trust employs about 350 former Taliban insurgents and each earns £230 ($300) a month.

Cowan, meanwhile, has called on the UK government to pay for thousands more former Taliban fighters to clear landmines as such opportunities provide jobs. 

According to the Daily Mail, Cowan is backed by former foreign secretary Sir Malcolm Rifkind, who said the UK has the potential to “bring thousands of former combatants into civilian life”.

Meanwhile, one Halo employee, Farid, who has worked for Halo for 30 years, said the charity currently employs around 2,300 de-miners. 

He said of those about 350 fought either with the Taliban or with an affiliated group. He also said that so far, Halo has destroyed about 850,000 mines. 

Farid also stated he “never felt any insecurity” working with the ex-insurgents because they went through strict vetting procedures. Only one of those employed by Halo had returned to the conflict after his training, he said adding that “fighting is not driven by ideology, it is driven by poverty”.

According to him the former insurgents were good workers and “know the landscape and the geography and we use them to clear their own communities.”

 

Continue Reading

Latest News

Three wounded in magnetic IED explosion in Kabul

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: October 26, 2020)

At least three civilians were injured in a magnetic mine blast in Police District 6 of Kabul City on Monday morning, the Kabul police confirmed.

According to Kabul police, the magnetic mine was attached to a Prado type vehicle in the Haji Nabi township in PD 6.

This comes two days after when at least 18 people have been killed in a suicide bombing in a densely populated area of Kabul city on Saturday.

Ministry of Interior spokesman Tariq Arian confirmed Saturday evening that the death toll stands at 18 and about 57 others were wounded.

He also stated that a suicide bomber had tried to enter the Kawsar-e Danish Training Center but was prevented from doing so by the guards at the gate.

The suicide bomber then detonated his explosives in the alley, Arian said.

ISIS-K, or Daesh as it is commonly known in Afghanistan, claimed responsibility for the attack.

Continue Reading

Featured

Imran Khan seeks ban on Islamophobic content on Facebook 

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: October 26, 2020)

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on Sunday wrote to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg requesting that the social media company ban Islamophobic content on its platform, similar to that in place for the Holocaust.

In a post on his Twitter page, Khan said: “My letter to CEO Facebook Mark Zuckerberg to ban Islamophobia just as Facebook has banned questioning or criticizing the holocaust.”

He then attached a copy of the letter sent to Zuckerberg.

In his letter he said: “I am writing to draw your attention to the growing Islamophobia that is encouraging hate, extremism and violence across the world and especially through the use of social media platforms including Facebook.” 

Khan said he appreciates Zuckerberg’s step to “rightly ban any posting that criticizes or questions the Holocaust, which was the culmination of the Nazi pogrom of the Jews in Germany and across Europe”. 

He said the world is witnessing a similar pogrom against Muslims.

“Unfortunately, in some states, Muslims are being denied their citizenship rights and their democratic personal choices from dress to worship,” he wrote.

 

This letter comes on the same day that Khan accused French President Emmanuel Macron of “attacking Islam” after Macron’s anti-Islam comments. 

Macron on Wednesday accused Muslims of separatism and vowed not to give up cartoons depicting Prophet Muhammed – this in the wake of the beheading of a teacher, Samuel Paty near Paris after he had shown cartoons of the Prophet during a class he was leading on free speech.

Macron said he “was killed because Islamists want our future.”

In a series of tweets earlier Sunday, Imran Khan said Macron’s remarks would sow division. 

“This is a time when Pres Macron could have put healing touch & denied space to extremists rather than creating further polarisation & marginalisation that inevitably leads to radicalisation,” Khan tweeted. 

“It is unfortunate that he has chosen to encourage Islamophobia by attacking Islam rather than the terrorists who carry out violence, be it Muslims, White Supremacists or Nazi ideologists.”

“President Macron has attacked and hurt the feelings of millions of Muslims in Europe and around the world,” Khan stated. 

Continue Reading

Trending