Connect with us

Sport

Sport – 31 Dec 2019

Ariana News

Published

 on

Featured

Renegades signs Afghan teenager for Australia’s Big Bash League

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: October 29, 2020)

Australia’s Melbourne Renegades have signed up 15-year-old Noor Ahmad after a 12-month scouting mission and plan to unleash him on the Big Bash League later this year. 

Earlier this week Renegades confirmed Mohammad Nabi had also signed up and on Thursday, the club announced on its website, 15-year-old Noor Ahmad, from Kabul, will also join their team. 

“We’ve been tracking Noor Ahmad closely for more than a year now and although he’s in the early stages of his career, he’s an exciting prospect and he has a few tricks that’ll make life difficult for batsmen,” Renegades Coach Michael Klinger said. 

Ahmad is a left-arm wrist-spinner who has earned high praise around the globe.

Ahmad earned a contract in the Caribbean Premier League earlier this year and won a T20 trophy under Mohammad Nabi’s captaincy in 2019.

“The Renegades fans and followers of the Big Bash may not know much about Noor at this stage but I can tell you, he is a very exciting talent who I feel has a big future in the game,” Nabi said.

Continue Reading

Featured

Khabib retires from MMA with an undefeated record of 29-0

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: October 25, 2020)

MMA champion Khabib Nurmagomedov announced his retirement on Saturday night after defeating his rival Justin Gaethje in a second-round submission win in Abu Dhabi. 

Reuters reported that the Russian’s many fans had questioned if he would have the heart for the fight against Gaethje following the death of his father Abdulmanap in July from complications caused by COVID-19.

But, following his win, he left his gloves in the octagon, fulfilling a promise to his mother. 

“I talked to my mother three days (ago). She didn’t want me to go fight without (my) father, but I promised her it’s going to be my last fight, and if I give my word, I have to follow this,” an emotional Khabib said.

His father had tutored him in combat sports from an early age and was in his corner in Abu Dhabi in September 2019 when Khabib choked out Dustin Poirier, on that occasion using a rear-naked choke in another successful title defense, Reuters reported.

“It was my last fight. I know only one thing I want from the UFC – you guys have to put me number one pound-for-pound fighter in the world because I deserve this,” Khabib said.

The 32-year-old notched up 13 wins in eight years and a professional record featuring eight knockouts and 11 submission wins.

He competed in the lightweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, where he was the UFC Lightweight Champion from April 2018 until his retirement.

Continue Reading

Featured

Strikers signs Rashid Khan again for Big Bash League

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: October 22, 2020)

Adelaide Strikers on Thursday announced Afghan star legspinner Rashid Khan will return to the club for this year’s edition of Australia’s Big Bash League (BBL). 

Khan said in a statement issued by the club that he was happy to play again for the Strikers.

“I’m so happy that I am able to play for the Strikers again in a big tenth season of the Big Bash, and I have loved this competition from the very beginning,” he said. 

“The Strikers have been like a family to me since I joined them, and I am so thankful to the fans who have been supporting me and made me feel like Adelaide is my home,” he added. 

Head Coach Jason Gillespie said: “Rashid has been such a quality player and person for the city of Adelaide and the Strikers from the moment he arrived.”

“We’re thrilled his world-class bowling and exciting batting will continue to entertain our loyal fans, and we want to again be challenging for a second title when the tournament begins,” he said. 

Confirmation of Khan’s return follows that of team-mate Mohammad Nabi who will again play for the Melbourne Renegades.

Teams will be allowed to field up to three overseas players in their XIs for the next two seasons after the increase from two was approved earlier this week.

The tournament is expected to start in the second week of December although the exact structure and schedule remains to be confirmed amid the reworking of the season.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending