Two simultaneous suicide attacks targeted mosques in Kabul and Ghor provinces late on Friday, officials confirm.
In the first incident, a suicide bomber has detonated explosives inside Imam Zaman mosque located in PD13 of Kabul city.
Afghanistan Ministry of Interior (MoI) has announced at least 39 people were killed and 45 others including women and children were wounded in the incident.
The spokesman of MoI, Najib Danish has confirmed the incident, saying the blast was a suicide attack which took place inside the mosque.
President Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive, Abdullah Abdullah have strongly condemned the attack.
The so-called Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility behind the attack saying it carried out the attack on Kabul’s Imam Zaman mosque, but provided no evidence for the claim.
In the second incident, a suicide attacker has also targeted worshipers in a mosque in Dawlina district of Ghor province in west of Afghanistan.
Provincial police spokesman Iqbal Nezami told Ariana News that the target was an famous ALP commander and his men.
The spokesman of Ghor governor, Abdul Hay Khatibi said at least 20 people were killed and 10 others were wounded in Ghor mosque attack.
However, no group including Taliban and IS group have claimed responsibility for the Ghor mosque attack so far.
In the meantime, Atta Muhammad Noor, the governor of Balkh has also condemned the attack and urged the government to take serious measures and bring needed reforms in the security institutions of the country.
The so-called Islamic State (IS) also known as Daesh has previously targeted mosques in Kabul and other provinces.