Connect with us

Latest News

SIGAR Says Corruption in Gov’t Strengthens Taliban Position

Ariana News

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: November 26, 2019)

The U.S. Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), stated that the existence of corruption in the Afghan government has strengthened the position of the Taliban.

According to the U.S. watchdog, the Taliban is able to recruit supporters by giving examples of corrupt officials in the central government.

Speaking at Wilson Center in Washington, DC John F. Sopko, the Head of SIGAR urged the U.S. government to prioritize anti corruption efforts in Afghanistan.

However, Sopko praised the performance of President Ashraf Ghani’s government for its anti-corruption efforts. He said the current government has performed better in addressing corrupt practices, when compared with the previous government led by Former President Hamid Karzai.

In addition, the Head of SIGAR blamed Washington for doing very little to prevent corruption in Afghanistan.

Rayhana Azad, an Afghan lawmaker believes that corruption in the Afghan institutions cannot be tackled in a short period of time, rather it requires a long-term anti-corruption strategy. She urges the government to make a decision about former government officials, who are accused of fraud and other wrongdoing.

Latif Mahmud, Ghani’s Deputy Spokesman says that government is committed to the fight against corruption, and it has implemented “Key indicators and fundamental standards,” for reducing the level of corruption.

Meanwhile, Naser Timory, a Researcher at the Integrity Watch Afghanistan (IWA), told Ariana News that the cost of corrupt practices to the National Unity Government is estimated to be approximately $1.7 billion. He added that this amount of money is significant for a poor nation like Afghanistan, which depends heavily on the support of the international community.

By Hesamuddin Hesam

COVID-19

Afghanistan Coronavirus updates: 85 new cases, total 34,451

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 12, 2020)

Afghanistan has recorded 85 new Coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, the lowest number in daily cases in the last two months.

In a daily COVID-19 update released on Sunday, the Ministry of Public Health said the cases were reported in Kabul (14), Herat (18), Kandahar (5), Bamyan (20), Nangarhar (4), Takhar (10), Kunduz (3), Badakhshan (8), Wardak (1), Laghman (1), and Kunar (1).

It brings the total infections to 34,451 in Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, 16 Coronavirus patients have died in the past 24 hours, bringing the total fatalities to 1010 in the country.

According to the updates, the death cases were registered in Kabul (12), Herat (2), and Kandahar (2).

The Health Ministry further said that 81 patients have recovered and fully discharged from hospitals in the past 24 hours.

So far, 21,216 people have recovered from the virus in Afghanistan since the first COVID-19 case was detected in Herat about four months ago.

There are 12,684,409 cases tested positive worldwide, with 564,506 deaths and 6,981,170 recoveries.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Roadside mine blast kills six civilians – Ghazni

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 12, 2020)

At least six civilians were killed and eight more wounded in mine blast in central Ghazni province, a local official confirmed.

Wahidullah Jumazada a spokesman for the provincial governor told Ariana News that the incident happened after a vehicle carrying civilians hit a roadside mine in the Jaghato district of the province.

The incident has taken palace in Dare Qyaq area – people call it valley of death where Taliban militants have a huge presence – of Jaghato district on Saturday afternoon.

Jumazada said that the Taliban had planted the mine in which “six civilians including women and children were martyred and eight others wounded.”

He added that all wounded individuals were taken to the hospitals.

The Taliban militant group has not made a comment about the incident yet.

The Taliban fighters reportedly frequently target civilians and government employees Dare Qyaq of Ghazni to show their presence in the Jaghato district.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Afghan forces push back Taliban attack in Faryab, killing 14 militants

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 12, 2020)

The Afghan forces have pushed back the Taliban attack in Faryab province, the Afghan military said.

In a statement released on Sunday, the 209 Shaheen Corps said that the militants attacked the Afghan security and defense forces in the Dawlatabad district of the province on Saturday afternoon.

According to the statement, the attack faced “fierce resistance” by the Afghan forces.

At least 14 Taliban militants including Haji Naasir, the Taliban designated district chief’s father – for Shirin Tagab – were killed in the clashes, the statement said.

Meanwhile, the group’s red unit commander Mulla Zaqawi along with 10 insurgents were wounded in the incident.

The Taliban militant group yet to make a comment on the matter.

Continue Reading

Trending