Connect with us

Latest News

Seven Afghan Airlines Bankrupted Since 2001

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: March 25, 2018)

Seven Afghan private airlines have been bankrupted due to insecurities, economical problems and lack of government support to domestic airlines, an official from the Aviation Companies Union said Sunday.

According to the official, Safi, Pamir, Ufuq Sharq, Afghan Jet, Faza Air, Kabul Air and Khurasan are among the bankrupted Afghan private airlines.

However, Kam Air and Ariana Afghan Airlines, the state-owned company which serves as the country’s national carrier, are the only two Afghan companies which are operating in Afghanistan right now.

Bankruptcy of the domestic airlines have paved the ground for nine foreign companies to start operating in Afghanistan.

“70 percent of our Afghans are travelling with foreign companies and less than 30 percent are travelling with domestic companies,” Fareed Paikar, head of the Aviation Companies Union said.

But, travel agents say the bankruptcy of the domestic airlines have increased the cost of tickets and caused hundreds of people to lose their jobs.

On January 2018, Kam Air, the only Afghan private airline, lost nine staff members in a Taliban attack on Kabul Intercontinental hotel and suffered a devastating loss. Kam Air used to provide links between major cities in Afghanistan where travel by road is often dangerous, but now the airline has decreased its flights.

Latest News

Magnitude 5.6 quake hits western Afghanistan, killing more than 20

Published

on

(Last Updated On: January 18, 2022)

An earthquake rocked western Afghanistan on Monday, killing more than 20 people and destroying hundreds of homes, local authorities said.

The 5.6 magnitude tremor shook the western province of Badghis, bordering Turkmenistan, in the afternoon, reducing brick homes to rubble, according to photos shared by local authorities, Reuters reported.

“Unfortunately, our initial reports show that 26 people, including five women and four children, have been killed and four others injured,” said Baz Mohammad Sarwari, the director of Information and Culture of the Badghis provincial administration.

“The Mujahideen have reached to some of the affected areas, but Badghis is a mountainous province, the number of casualties might go up,” he added, referring to Taliban fighters, and adding that heavy rain was also lashing the area.

Mullah Janan Saeqe, head of the Emergency Operations Centre of the Ministry of State for Emergency Affairs, confirmed the death toll and said more than 700 houses had been damaged, Reuters reported.

Sanullah Sabit, the head of the nursing unit at the main hospital in Badghis’ capital said they had received five patients injured in the quake, mostly with broken bones and fractures.

The quake was at a depth of 30 km (18.64 miles), according to the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Pakistan fired 21 rockets towards Afghanistan: officials

Published

on

(Last Updated On: January 18, 2022)

Military officials in the eastern zone told Ariana News on Monday that clashes broke out between Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) and Pakistani forces on Sunday night in the Sarkano district of Kunar province, close to the Durand Line.

Officials said that Pakistani forces fired 21 rockets towards Afghanistan, but that no casualties were reported.

Hamdullah Hamdard, the spokesman for the 1st Border Battalion of the Eastern Zone, said that IEA forces also fired several rockets back at Pakistani forces.

“Clashes erupted between Taliban (IEA) and Pakistani forces in Sarkano district of Kunar province. The clashes continued until 9:00 pm. The cause of the clashes was because of the attack by Pakistani forces. In response, Taliban (IEA) forces also fired rockets towards them, and maybe they suffered casualties. Our forces and people did not suffer casualties,” added Hamdard.

IEA officials said recently they are establishing 32 new check posts along the Durand Line to counter Pakistani attacks.

Continue Reading

Latest News

China’s birthrate falls to lowest level in 61 years

Published

on

(Last Updated On: January 17, 2022)

China’s birthrate has fallen to its lowest level in six decades, barely outnumbering deaths in 2021 despite major government efforts to increase population growth and stave off a demographic crisis.

Across China, 10.62 million babies were born in 2021, a rate of 7.52 per thousand people, the national bureau of statistics said on Monday.

In the same period 10.14 million deaths were recorded, a mortality rate of 7.18 per thousand, producing a population growth rate of just 0.34 per thousand head of population, the Guardian reported.

The rate of growth is the lowest since 1960, and adds to the findings of last May’s once-a-decade census, which found an average annual rise of 0.53%, down from 0.57% reported from 2000 to 2010.

China, like much of east Asia, is in the grip of a population crisis, with lowering birthrates, and predictions of imminent negative population growth and an ageing population. Monday’s figures showed the proportion of over-60s in China rose from 18.7% in 2020 to 18.9%.

Beijing has announced major reforms to address the decline, including raising the retirement age. A three-child policy has replaced the two-child policy that was introduced in 2016 and had sparked a slight increase in births before falling again.

The high cost of living, delayed marriages and lack of social mobility are frequently cited as contributing factors to young Chinese people’s reluctance to have children.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 Ariana News. All rights reserved!