Connect with us

Latest News

Politicians Warn Gov’t Over Delay in Election

Ariana News

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: March 12, 2018)

Mohammad Omar Daudzai, a senior member of the Council for Protection and Stability in Afghanistan (also known as Shura-ye Herasat wa Sobat-e Afghanistan) on Monday warned National Unity Government (NUG) leaders against any delays in the upcoming presidential elections.

“We will not let you to illegally possess the power even for one day,” Daudzai, head of the council’s political committee who was speaking at a gathering under the name of “National Consensus for Afghanistan” said.

At the same event, Ahmad Wali Massoud, chairman of the National Agenda Process said the current system has been shut down and they will present an alternative to the NUG if the election was not held on time.

“If the government does not hold election before its legal time, we should create an alternative government at the right time,” Massoud said.

Anwar-ul Haq Ahadi, the chairman of the New National Front of Afghanistan (NNF) claimed that the next presidential election will be fraudulent. He said the government has no intention to organize a transparent election.

At the meeting, participants accused the unity government of discriminating among ethnic groups in Afghanistan.

While, Former President Hamid Karzai endorsed the National Agenda Process and emphasized on national consensus.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Featured

Fears of Taliban takeover post troop withdrawal are overblown: Khalilzad

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: May 18, 2021)

The US special envoy to Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad said Tuesday predictions that the Taliban will quickly overrun Afghan government forces and conquer Kabul once U.S. and coalition forces have withdrawn are unduly pessimistic.

Testifying before the US House Foreign Affairs Committee, Khalilzad said: “I personally believe that the statements that their (Afghan) forces will disintegrate and the Talibs will take over in short order are mistaken.”

His comments came as committee members expressed concern that President Joe Biden’s decision to fully withdraw all troops by September 11 will lead to chaos and intensified civil war.

AP reported that Michael McCaul, a Texas Republican and withdrawal critic, asserted that there is “zero chance” the Taliban will abide by the commitments their leaders made in a February 2020 agreement with the Trump administration, which included engaging in sustained peace negotiations and severing all forms of cooperation with and support for al-Qaida.

“It seems all but certain the Taliban will try to overrun the country and return it to a pre-9/11 state after we have withdrawn,” McCaul said. 

“They’ve already ramped up their attacks, taking new territory and bases since the (Biden) announcement was made. Without a military presence in country, the U.S. is giving them room to deepen their relationship with terrorist groups like al-Qaeda, who may seek to launch external attacks on us and our allies from the country once again.”

Khalilzad argued that the Taliban have reason not to push for a military victory and instead pursue a negotiated political settlement that could give them international legitimacy and removal from certain American and United Nations sanctions. 

“They say they seek normalcy in terms of relations — acceptability, removal from sanctions, not to remain a pariah,” Khalilzad said.

Khalilzad said the U.S. military withdrawal is proceeding “so far so good,” and added: “We expect that to continue.” 

He said diplomatic efforts are underway to seek agreements with neighboring countries to position U.S. counterterrorism forces within strike distance of Afghanistan to be able to respond to future threats.

 

Continue Reading

Featured

Five military facilities handed over to Defense Ministry: CENTCOM

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: May 18, 2021)

U.S. Central Command said Tuesday that about 115 C-17 military cargo loads of material have been flown out of Afghanistan and more than 5,000 pieces of equipment have been turned over to the Defense Logistics Agency for destruction.

According to a statement issued by CENTCOM, the U.S. has officially handed over five facilities to the Afghan Ministry of Defense. 

“U.S. Central Command estimates that we have completed between 13-20% of the entire retrograde process,” the statement read.

The foreign troops withdrawal process started officially on May 1 and according to U.S. President Joe Biden it will be complete by September 11 – the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attack on the United States. 

Continue Reading

Latest News

NSA says all leverage possible needed to get Taliban to talks tables

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: May 18, 2021)

Afghan National Security Advisor (NSA) Hamdullah Mohib said Tuesday that all forms of leverage must be used to get the Taliban to actively engage in peace talks.

Mohib’s comments come amid an uptick in attacks by the Taliban in many province across the country following the three-day Eid ceasefire.

On Monday, Mohib discussed the Afghan peace process with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi in a phone conversation.

According to Mohib’s office, Wang assured Mohib of China’s full support for peace, stating: “China wants an independent, sovereign and unified Afghanistan.”

Wang noted that a political settlement is the only viable solution for ending the long-term war in Afghanistan.

Mohib’s office stated that the two sides identified terrorism as a common threat that both sides should fight.

“Wang Yi offered that China can increase its efforts, including regionally, in support of peace in Afghanistan,” the organization said.

Meanwhile, Mohib told Wang that “Afghanistan believes all levers of influence should be used to induce Taliban to engage earnestly in peace, including UN sanctions and other avenues where China’s unique capabilities can be helpful.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Ariana News. All rights reserved!