Connect with us

Latest News

Pentagon chief says we make sure ISIL don’t have nest in Nangarhar

Avatar

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: December 19, 2015)

US Defense Secretary Ash Carter visits Forward Operating Base Fenty – Jalalabad, Afghanistan

The U.S. President Barak Obama says that Al Qaida is pinned down, but they still pose a threat as it is operative in areas between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

“We can disable them, but in the same way that Al Qaida is pinned down and has much more difficulty carrying out any significant attacks because of how we have systemically dismantled them, they still pose a threat.” President Obama at the end-of-year news conference said,” There are still operatives who are interested in carrying out terrorist attacks because they still operate in areas between Pakistan and Afghanistan”.

Obama says Washington’s long-term goal is to stabilize the areas that Al Qaida groups are still operative to prevent terrorists make any safe haven.

At the same time, U.S. officials warn a threat from the Islamic State  of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) extremist group in Afghanistan.

The U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter made an unannounced visit to Afghanistan and met Afghan acting defense minister, Mohammad Massoum Stanekzai in Kabul on Friday said.

“We are seeing little nests of ISIL spring up around the world, including here in Afghanistan, but I will say that that is a threat that we track very closely.”

Pentagon chief added,” There [ISIL] are trying to create little nests wherever they feel there is an opportunity, we make sure they don’t have a nest here in Nangarhar, they are very opportunistic groups like all terrorists are, and they will go where they think they will be safe, there are not gonna be safe in Nangarhar.”

Carter’s Afghanistan visit comes after the Army Gen. John Campbell, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, estimates there are between 1,000 and 3,000 ISIS fighters across Afghanistan and the group is seeking foothold in Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province.

Reported by: Fahim Noori

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Shaheen: The number of prisoners released by the gov’t is conflicted

Avatar

Published

on

(Last Updated On: June 1, 2020)

Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen has said that the government has released less than 2,500 prisoners while claiming the release of 3,000.

According to him, the government has so far released only 2,284 Taliban prisoners, to be exact.

Shaheen added that the release of prisoners had to be transparent, and there should not be any flaws in the process.

Meanwhile, Jawed Faisal, the spokesman for the National Security Council, said that 1,000 Taliban prisoners had been released before Eid-ul-Fitr.

According to him, on the occasion of the Eid, the president announced the release of 2,000 Taliban prisoners, out of which, 1,000 were released over Eid holidays.

Reportedly, in the past three days, the government has released 710 Taliban prisoners and another 290 are expected to be added to the number, bringing the total of the released prisoners to 3,000.

Sayed Akbar Agha, a former Taliban member, said that according to some credible sources, some drug traffickers had also been released among the Taliban prisoners.

According to the government, civilians are included among the over 400 prisoners released by the Taliban and were claimed as men of the government.

The government’s negotiating team has been urging the Taliban to start the Intra-Afghan negotiations soon.

Farooq Majrooh, a member of the government’s negotiating team, said that some countries were ready to host the talks and that the government and the Taliban had to agree on a specific location as soon as possible.

On the other hand, the High Council of National Reconciliation, which is responsible for advancing the peace talks, has announced working on the structure of the council.

Fawzia Kufi, a member of the government’s negotiating team, stressed that women should leading roles in the High Council for National Reconciliation.

The release of 2,000 Taliban prisoners came to an end on Sunday, but the government has said nothing about future steps in the matter; however, the Taliban’s technical team to verify the detainees is still in Kabul.

Earlier, sources told Ariana News that the Intra-Afghan talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban will begin between 10th and 15th June – no official acknowledgment has been made though.

The government hopes that the release of prisoners could lead to starting the Intra-Afghan talks and a reduction in the level of violence; while the Taliban insist on the release of all 5,000 prisoners as a precondition to the talks.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Stefano Pontecorvo takes office as NATO’s SCR in Afghanistan

Avatar

Published

on

(Last Updated On: June 1, 2020)

Ambassador Stefano Pontecorvo of Italy officially takes up his role, today June 1, as the new NATO Senior Civilian Representative in Afghanistan, NATO confirmed in a statement.

NATO Sec-Gen Jens Stoltenberg said, “I look forward to working closely with him at this critical juncture for Afghanistan’s future.”

According to the statement, Pontecorvo will be working with the NATO-led Resolute Support mission that trains, advises, and assists the Afghan National forces as well as advising the NATO Secretary-General and the North Atlantic Council on the Alliance’s efforts in Afghanistan and relations with Afghan partners.

The statement added, “He will liaise with senior members of the Afghan government, Afghan officials and other prominent national and local officials. He will engage with representatives of the international community, Afghan civil society, and non-governmental organizations.”

His previous roles have been described as Italy’s Ambassador to Pakistan, diplomatic adviser to the Italian Defense Minister working on NATO political-military issues, including on Afghanistan, and deputy head of mission at the Italian embassies in London and Moscow.

It is noteworthy that Sir Nicholas Kay of the United Kingdom was previously serving as the NATO SCR in Afghanistan since March 2019.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Senior Traffic Police official killed – Kapisa

Avatar

Published

on

(Last Updated On: June 1, 2020)

An Afghan Traffic Police official was killed by unknown gunmen in Kapisa province on Monday, police confirmed.

Shayiq Shurish, a spokesman for the provincial police told Ariana News that Sayed Munir, head of Kapisa’s traffic department, was shot dead by unknown gunmen at around 8 a.m. Monday.

The incident has taken place in Qala-e-Sayed Khan village in Kapisa city, while Munir was on his way to his office, Shurish said.

He said the motives behind the attack yet to be determined, adding that police have begun investigations. 

So far, no group or individual has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Continue Reading

Trending