Connect with us

Regional

Nato troops for Afghanistan at risk without new president this month

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: September 5, 2014)

lakota

A meeting at the Nato summit on the alliance’s plans in the country ended with no agreement on setting up a new training mission because of political paralysis in Kabul over the contested presidential election.

Western officials said talks to keep up to 12,000 troops, including more than 9,000 Americans, as trainers and advisers had effectively stalled.

Afghanistan cannot sign a security pact agreeing to the mission until it has appointed a new president. Two candidates are awaiting the result of a delayed and acrimonious vote audit after allegations the poll was marred by rampant ballot stuffing.

Anders Fogh Rasmussen, Nato’s secretary general, said: “Without a signature, there can be no mission.

He said: “Although the military planners have shown great flexibility in their planning, time is short and the sooner the legal framework is in place, the better.”

But without a security deal which allows troops and advisers to see how the money is being spent, officials said donors were likely to be very reluctant to commit.

Mr Rasmussen said: “We will need to know where our money is going and how it is being spent.”

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

40 suspects arrested in connection with Nangarhar explosions

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 20, 2021)

The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s head of intelligence directorate in Nangarhar said on Monday that 40 people have been arrested in connection with explosions that rocked Jalalabad city on Saturday and Sunday.

The intelligence chief, Dr Bashir, also confirmed that four people had died and six others were wounded in the explosions – three on Saturday and one on Sunday.

He said intelligence officials are being targeted.

Bashir did not give any further details on who was behind the explosions but Islamic State (ISIS-K/Daesh) claimed responsibility for the blasts on Sunday.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Daesh claims responsibility for Nangarhar explosions

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 20, 2021)

Islamic State (ISIS-K/Daesh) has claimed responsibility for a series of bomb blasts in the city of Jalalabad in eastern Afghanistan, the group’s Amaaq News Agency said on its Telegram channel on Sunday.

“More than 35 Taliban (Islamic Emirate) militia members were killed or wounded, in a series of explosions that took place,” ISIS said, referring to blasts on Saturday and Sunday.

There was no immediate comment from the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan about the death toll.

Islamic Emirate officials said on Sunday that at least two people were killed and 15 wounded in Saturday’s explosions.

Eyewitnesses and Nangarhar hospital sources said the death toll was seven and 25 wounded.

This comes after U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and American intelligence officials warned last week that al-Qaeda or ISIS-K could regenerate in Afghanistan and pose a threat to the United States in one year to two years.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Officials confirm two killed, 13 wounded in Nangarhar explosions

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 19, 2021)

Officials confirmed Sunday that two people were killed and 13 wounded in three back-to-back explosions in Jalalabad city on Saturday.

Speaking to Ariana News, officials from the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s Cultural Commission confirmed the explosions and said all victims had been civilians and had been taken to the Nangarhar Regional Hospital.

Eye witnesses said the first explosion was an IED that was detonated against a Ranger vehicle, while the second explosion happened among civilians in PD2 of the city.

Eye witnesses said the third explosion, another IED, happened in PD5 of Jalalabad.

However, a source from Nangarhar Regional Hospital said seven people had died and 25 were wounded.

According to the source, among those killed and wounded were members of the Islamic Emirate.

No one has claimed responsibility for the blasts.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Ariana News. All rights reserved!