Connect with us

Latest News

NATO discusses “Enduring Partnership” with Afghanistan beyond RS in Antalya

Published

on

Last Updated on: October 25, 2022

 

Pre-ministerial press conference by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization is going to discuss their role in Afghanistan beyond the Resolute Support Mission by 2017 in Antalya foreign ministers meeting.

Jens Stoltenberg, NATO Secretary General who was speaking in a pre-ministerial press conference, which takes place in Antalya of Turkey, has emphasized on NATO key role in Afghanistan for the future.

“I expect we will decide to maintain a presence in Afghanistan even after the end of our current mission to train, advice and assist the Afghan security forces,” he has said.

He has stressed on the importance of Afghan security forces role for bringing stability to Afghanistan since Afghan forces have taken the security responsibility and vows for continued support.

In response to a Japanese News Agency about the need for a new support beyond the Resolute Support Mission (RSM) he responded that “we have not decided formally how long the Resolute Support Mission will last” only “the United States has announced clearly that they will end its participation in the RSM by the end of 2016.

NATO Foreign ministers will discuss in Antalya for their role after the RSM ended and according to Mr. Stoltenberg NATO has already decided to establish a long-term partnership with Afghanistan calling it the “Enduring Partnership”.

But he declares that NATO has not decided about the content of this partnership yet, and they will make the final decisions on the scope at the NATO Summit in July next year in Warsaw.

Reported by: Milad Sekandary

Advertisement

Latest News

Three arrested for smuggling 540 kilograms of hashish from Balkh to Uzbekistan

Mohammad Isa Wasiq, spokesperson for the Balkh police command, said the drugs had been hidden in a highly sophisticated manner to avoid detection.

Published

on

Police in northern Balkh province say three individuals have been arrested on charges of smuggling 540 kilograms of hashish from Afghanistan to Uzbekistan through the Hairatan border crossing.

In a statement, the Balkh police command said the suspects had concealed the drugs inside an excavation machine and transported it through the Hairatan port in an attempt to smuggle them across the border.

Mohammad Isa Wasiq, spokesperson for the Balkh police command, said the drugs had been hidden in a highly sophisticated manner to avoid detection.

According to officials, the suspects have confessed to the crime and will be handed over to the relevant judicial authorities following the completion of preliminary investigations.

Hairatan port is considered one of Afghanistan’s most important commercial gateways and serves as a major transit route connecting the country with Central Asia.

Authorities say efforts to combat drug trafficking through key border crossings remain ongoing.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Two children killed, mother injured in unexploded ordnance blast in Helmand

The two children were killed instantly, while their mother sustained serious injuries and was transferred for medical treatment.

Published

on

Two children were killed and their mother seriously injured after an unexploded device detonated inside their home in southern Helmand Province, local officials said on Wednesday.

According to Nasir Ahmad Mahajer, spokesperson for the Helmand police command, the incident occurred at around 9:00 a.m. in the village of Kala Sabz in Khanashin District.

Officials said the children had reportedly brought an unidentified object into the house. While preparing tea, the device was placed into a fire, triggering a powerful explosion.

The two children were killed instantly, while their mother sustained serious injuries and was transferred for medical treatment.

Authorities have once again warned residents against touching or handling suspicious objects, stressing that unexploded ordnance remains a major danger in areas affected by years of conflict.

Continue Reading

Latest News

India announce squads for Afghanistan Test and ODI series

Veteran batters Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma remain key figures in India’s ODI setup as selectors gradually shape the squad for the next World Cup cycle.

Published

on

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced India’s Test and ODI squads for the upcoming series against Afghanistan, with Shubman Gill set to captain both sides.

The series, scheduled for June, includes a one-off Test match and a three-match ODI series and is being viewed as an important step in India’s preparations for a busy international calendar.

Selectors largely retained a familiar core of experienced players while also rewarding several younger talents following strong performances in IPL 2026.

The squad announcement came amid discussions surrounding workload management for key players, including fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah, as well as the leadership role of wicketkeeper-batter Rishabh Pant.

According to reports, chief selector Ajit Agarkar and BCCI officials also considered the importance of the Afghanistan series in shaping India’s plans for the ongoing World Test Championship cycle and the 2027 ODI World Cup.

Despite the one-off Test not carrying World Test Championship points, India named a strong batting lineup as the team management looks to build momentum ahead of a demanding Test season later this year, including overseas tours and the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

Veteran batters Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma remain key figures in India’s ODI setup as selectors gradually shape the squad for the next World Cup cycle.

India’s Test squad for the Afghanistan series includes Shubman Gill as captain, with Yashasvi Jaiswal, KL Rahul, Sai Sudharsan, Rishabh Pant, Devdutt Padikkal, Nitish Kumar Reddy, Washington Sundar, Kuldeep Yadav and Mohammed Siraj among those selected.

The ODI squad also features Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Hardik Pandya, Shreyas Iyer and Ishan Kishan.

The one-off Test match between India and Afghanistan will be played from June 6 to 10 at the MYS International Cricket Stadium in Mullanpur, New Chandigarh.

The ODI series will begin on June 14 in Dharamsala, followed by matches in Lucknow on June 17 and Chennai on June 20.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Ariana News. All rights reserved!