Connect with us

Latest News

MoD warns of intense Taliban spring offensive

Ariana News

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: April 6, 2016)

Afghan-Taliban-leader-killed-in-Pakistan

Afghanistan Ministry of Defense (MoD) has warned that the armed Taliban group will intense their attacks in the current year.

MoD spokesman emphasized that the Afghan security forces will thwart Taliban’s efforts to collapse key parts of the country in this year’s fighting season.

NATO’s findings indicate that nearly 5500 Afghan troops killed and more than 14,000 other troops wounded in the last year’s fighting season.

The troops are said to believe that Taliban is real threat for Afghanistan and their main aim is to destroy the Afghan government.

But, MoD rejected NATO’s statements regarding the issue; saying the armed Taliban group would not be a great threat to Afghanistan without foreign supports.

“The opposition groups are trying to collapse key districts of the country this year, but it is just a dream. without foreign supports, they are not an important threat for Afghanistan,” Dawlat Waziri, MoD spokesman said.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Interior Affairs (MoI) has also announced of serious plans for suppressing Taliban group in the current year.

“Our main focus is the east and northern parts of the country and we are ready to launch the “Shafaq” operation,” Najibullah Danish, deputy spokesman of MoI said.

However, military analysts consider the current year, one of the bloodiest years for Afghanistan.

They believe that the Taliban group will use any option to take the control of key parts of the country.

The Taliban’s fierce assault underscored official concerns that the country’s more stable north had become a magnet for militant fighters. In years past, the insurgents have focused most of their efforts in their traditional strongholds of southern and eastern Afghanistan.

Afghan forces are now shouldering the burden of fighting a still-resilient Taliban since the U.S.-led coalition largely ended its combat role in Afghanistan. Though a small number of foreign troops remain, their military presence in northern Afghanistan is small: Coalition forces are mostly concentrated in the country’s south and east.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Featured

Flash flood warning issued for nine provinces

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 29, 2020)

Afghanistan’s Meteorological Department (AMD) on Tuesday issued a flash flood warning for nine provinces, including Kabul and Parwan. 

AMD said on its website rain and possible flooding can be expected in Kabul, Kunar, Nuristan, Laghman, Kapisa, Panjshir, Parwan, Nangarhar and Badakhshan provinces over the next 24 hours. 

Rainfall of between 10 and 20 mm has been forecast. 

This warning comes after August’s torrential rain across 13 provinces left close to 200 people dead and thousands homeless.

The worst-hit province was Parwan, which saw torrents of water destroy hundreds of homes in the provincial capital Charikar. 

 

Continue Reading

Featured

Almost 100 dead as Armenia, Azerbaijan clashes continue

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 29, 2020)

Almost 100 people, including civilians, have been killed as battles between Armenia and Azerbaijan continued Tuesday, for the third day, over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh territory. 

Both Armenia and Azerbaijan said that heavy fighting had continued overnight.

The self-proclaimed authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh said 87 of their military personnel had been killed and 120 wounded since Sunday.

According to the Armenpress news agency, they put the fatality figure on the Azerbaijani side at nearly 400.

Azerbaijan has not revealed its military losses but has confirmed seven civilian deaths.

Although the fighting started in the Nagorno-Karabakh territory on Sunday, clashes appeared to be spilling over the border on Tuesday. 

Armenia’s defense ministry said a passenger bus had been hit by an Azerbaijani drone in the eastern Armenian city of Vardenis. There were no reports of casualties.

Azerbaijan earlier said two Azerbaijani civilians had been killed in Armenian shelling in Azerbaijan on Monday, following the deaths of five people from the same family a day earlier, BBC reported.

The UN Security Council meanwhile is expected to hold emergency talks on the issue Tuesday.

Both sides have mobilized more soldiers and Turkey on Monday was reportedly sending in Syrian rebel fighters to help Azerbaijan. 

In a statement on Tuesday, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said: “I am deeply disturbed by the reported loss of civilian lives and injuries, as well as damage to civilian property and infrastructure.”

She also urged “an immediate end to the fighting”.

Continue Reading

Featured

14 killed, including five children, in Daikundi roadside explosion

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 29, 2020)

At least 14 people were killed on Tuesday morning when the vehicle they were traveling in hit a roadside bomb. 

The explosion happened in Kariz village in Kajran District, the Ministry of Interior confirmed. 

The incident happened at about 9am. Seventeen civilians had been in the vehicle at the time of the explosion. 

Those killed include seven women, five children and two men, officials confirmed. Three others were wounded.

A sharp rise in violence has been detected around the country in the past two months, with a marked increase in the use of IEDs by the Taliban – which largely affects civilians as they are planted along public roads. 

Afghan security forces have however been detecting and defusing hundreds of these explosive devices around the country each week – putting their own lives at risk to do so.

Continue Reading

Trending