Connect with us

Latest News

MoD Stops Offensive in Restive Sar-e-Pul for Unknown Reasons: Sources

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: May 15, 2017)

34533443Afghan Defense Ministry has stopped offensive operations in restive Sar-e-Pul province for unknown reasons, sources told Ariana News Monday.

Sar-e-Pul is one of the insecure provinces in north of Afghanistan which is “seriously” under the threat of the Taliban and other insurgent groups.

Kohistanat district in the province is under control of the Taliban since two years and the group has 90 percent control on Suzma district as well as 50 percent control on Sancharak district.

Gusfandi district and center of the province are also under the threat of the militants.

Moreover, a week ago, two suspicious choppers landed in Sayad district of the province which is the stronghold of the Taliban and reportedly equipped the insurgents.

“The situation concerned us; solutions should be sought soon,” A member of the provincial Council, Mohammad Ali Hakimi said.

Following the matter, Senator Mohammad Azim Qawash said the situation is getting worse in the province and further security forces should be deployed.

The move by the Defense Ministry comes as previously the Army Chief of Staff has pledged on continuation of the offensives in the province.

Latest News

Three national snooker team players off to good start in world champs

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 19, 2021)

Afghanistan’s National Snooker Team has gotten off to a good start in this year’s Six-Red World Championships in Doha, Qatar.

National team member Raees Khan Sindzai won his first match against his opponent from Ukraine ending with a score of 5-4.

Sindzai also defeated his Iraqi rival 5-4 in his second match and his next game will be against Bahrain.

Saleh Mohammad Mohammadi, another Afghan team member, beat his Egyptian rival 5-0 but lost his second match to his Belgian opponent, 4-5.

His third game will be against Palestine.

The Six-Red World Championships comes just days after the three team members took part in the Asian Snooker Championships, which were also held in Doha.

The tournaments are part of three major billiards and snooker events – including the GCC Billiards and Snooker tournament – organised by the Qatar Billiards and Snooker Federation.

It is the first time a country hosts these three major championships in succession, separated by only a few days.

The competitions started with the Asian championship from September 12 to 16, then the Six-Red World Championship from September 17 to 21. This championship will be followed by the GCC Billiards and Snooker Championship from September 22 to 28.

President of the International Snooker Federation and Executive Director of the Qatar Federation, Mubarak Al Khayarin, described Qatar’s hosting of the World and Asian Championships as a great challenge, especially after stopping nearly two years of activity due to the repercussions of the continuing outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, Qatar’s The Peninsula reported.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Three brothers killed in Paktia in dispute over land

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 19, 2021)

Three members of one family were killed and one more wounded in a clash in eastern Paktia province, local officials said Sunday.

According to Islamic Emirate officials, the clash happened between two families in Shakar Khel village in Gardez city, the provincial capital, on Saturday evening.

The incident happened after an argument broke out over a land dispute between the two sides, the officials said.

The officials stated that all the victims were brothers.

Mawlawi Hemat, police chief of Gardez PD1, stated that three members of one family have been arrested in connection with the incident.

He said Islamic Emirate forces are investigating and hope to arrest the other culprits.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Kabul municipality drawing up service plans, order removal of T-walls

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 19, 2021)

The acting head of Kabul municipality on Sunday ordered the removal of the city’s blast walls and said plans are being drawn up to address urban challenges and to provide effective services.

Addressing a press conference in Kabul, Mawlawi Hamdullah Nomani said the removal of barriers and concrete walls is a part of the plan going forward

Mawlawi Nomani said that the construction of high rise buildings and usurpation of land are challenges that will be addressed in future.

“Investigations about buildings and land grabbing, which were [prone to] corruption will be addressed. We will not allow this, people cannot misuse this. We will investigate this when all institutions resume work,” said Mawlawi Nomani.

According to him, the Islamic Emirate will urge donors to complete projects that have stopped in the past month.

“We are in contact with donors of 100 projects that have now stopped. We have not received a positive or negative answer about the fate of the projects,” he said.

Mawlawi Nomani also said that the removal of barriers and concrete blast walls will be completed soon.

“We will remove barriers that spoil the city, most of these were placed by security institutions. We are telling people who erected barriers to remove them, otherwise we will remove them and the people will have to pay municipality expenses,” he said.

Hundreds of thousands of concrete walls, known in Kabul as T-walls, have for years spoilt the look of the city.

Almost everywhere you look in the Afghan capital, you see these tall, thick walls, which range in height from three to seven metres, that surround homes, businesses, schools, embassies and government compounds.

Over the years demand was high and as more walls went up, traffic problems increased as roads were all too often blocked when new walls went up.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Ariana News. All rights reserved!