Connect with us

Latest News

Integrity Watch Afghanistan called for early amendment of access to info law

Ariana News

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: July 29, 2015)

IWA

Integrity Watch Afghanistan has warned that if President Ghani and National Council do not take any step for amendment of the law, Afghan people will face serious problems.

Officials in Integrity Watch emphasized that due to failure in access to information law, 70 % of Afghanistan population that includes women and disables are deprived of the access to information.

Previously, President Ashraf Ghani has signed the new Access to Information Act, ratifying the 6 chapters and 32 articles that deliver Afghans unprecedented transparency in the state institutions.

The law lives up to international standards and will have major effects in limiting corruption, localising democracy and strentghening the people’s political and social participation in state building.

People will gain access to state and public budgets, and official spokespeople will be inclined to share information with journalists and citizens.

“The access to information law has many gaps and weaknesses and we are afraid of its amendments failure that would cause many problems for Afghan people,” head of advocacy group of Integrity Watch, Habibullah Maqbel said.

“Parliament and the government should amend access to information law and also consider the recomandations of the civil society that the background of information provides,” Samiullah Popalzai, member of advocacy group of Integrity Watch said.

There is, however, still quite some way to go. Afghanistan is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and having a great law on paper does not mean much if it is not implemented in practice.

Implementation of the law is one of the biggest challenges. A joint working force was developed between presidential office and civil society to monitor the implementation of the law.

The law follows the internationally accepted principle of maximum disclosure of information. That is, all information held by the government should be presumed to be public with minimal exceptions.

In Afghanistan’s new law, limitations on access to information are restricted to situations where disclosure poses legitimate harm to public or private interests.

This include cases where national security is concerned, where a citizen’s rights may be violated, where the release of information would obstruct the detection or investigation of a crime, or where the life, property, honor, or prestige of a person would be endangered.

It is hoped that the new rules surrounding access to information will help increase the public’s trust in government.

In a country that was ranked 172 out of 175 countries in Transparency International’s 2014 Corruption Perceptions Index, the potential benefits of the law are clear.

The lower house of the Afghan parliament (Wolesi Jirga) has approved Access to Information Law with some amendments by a majority of votes in June 30, 2014.

 

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

Afghanistan Cricket Board lifts playing ban on Riaz Hassan

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 14, 2020)

The Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) has announced that Riaz Hassan, Afghanistan U19 National Team player’s three-year ban has been lifted by ACB after almost 15 months.

The ACB Discipline Committee said that upon showcasing better ability, Hassan can participate in formal and informal games.

Riaz Hassan is a batsman in Afghanistan U19 National Team, who during a Tri-series with India and South Africa, was banned due to disciplinary violations in India.

“Riaz Hassan was banned for three years due to disciplinary violation. However, Hassan contacted ACB and sought mercy while expressing regret over his previous actions and violations. Taking that into consideration and based on section 30 of the principles of Discipline Committee, approved by CEO and endorsed by ACB Chairman, he was pardoned his remainder of the time,” read ACB Discipline Committee decision.

The Board further said that in addition to the HR principles, the Afghanistan Cricket Board also has disciplinary rules for player violations that apply to their intentional and unintentional mistakes.

Meanwhile, the ACB said Tuesday that all National Team players were tested for COVID-19 fortunately, “all players tested negative.”

The players were tested upon the completion of a recently concluded training camp as an added precautionary measure to fight the spread of the Coronavirus, the ACB tweeted.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Khalilzad says first phase of US-Taliban agreement completed

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 14, 2020)

The United States said that it has implemented the first phase of the US-Taliban agreement which was inked in Doha, the capital of Qatar.  

The US Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad said the US and Taliban have reached day 135, “a key milestone in implementation of the US-Taliban Agreement.”

“The U.S. has worked hard to carry out the 1st phase of its commitments under the Agreement, including to reduce forces and depart five bases,” Khalilzad said.

He added that NATO troops in Afghanistan have been downed in “proportional number.”

Although, the first of the agreement was completed the Taliban and the Afghan government yet to remove obstacles – including prisoner releases and reducing violence – ahead of the intra-Afghan talks, where the two sides would sit in direct talks to discuss further steps including a comprehensive and permanent ceasefire.

Khalilzad said that there has been major progress in this regard, “albeit slow, on prisoner releases.”

“And violence has been high, especially in recent days and weeks. Afghans continue to die in large numbers for no reason,” the US Envoy noted. 

It comes as the Taliban militant group attacked an office of the Afghan National Directorate of Security in Aybak city of Samangan province, killing or wounded dozens of civilians that Afghan forces.

Khalilzad has condemned the attack saying that it was contradicted their commitment to reducing violence until a permanent ceasefire is reached in intra-Afghan talks.

“We condemn today’s attack. The use of major explosives to detonate a vehicle in a provincial capital is unacceptable and will strengthen those who oppose peace and plays into the hands of spoilers. All sides must reduce violence,” he tweeted.

Khalilzad said that the US is seeking to implement the next of the Doha agreement, “our approach will remain conditions-based.” 

The United States will press for “completion of prisoner releases, reduction of violence, complete delivery on CT commitments and start of and progress in intra-Afghan negotiations.”

Continue Reading

Latest News

US soldier dies in ‘non-combat-related incident’ – Afghanistan

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 14, 2020)

The US Department of Defense said Monday that an American soldier died in Afghanistan on, July 12, 2020.

Pentagon said in a statement that the soldier has lost his life as a result of a non-combat-related incident in southern Kandahar province.

The incident is under investigation, the statement noted.

The statement identified the soldier as 1st Lt. Joseph Trent Allbaugh, 24, from Folsom, California.

“Allbaugh was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery Regiment, 108th ADA Brigade, Fort Campbell, Kentucky,” the statement said.

It comes as earlier this month; an American soldier was killed in a vehicle accident in Farah province.

The soldier was later identified as Spc. Vincent Sebastian Ibarria, 21, from San Antonio, Texas, US.

Continue Reading

Trending