Connect with us

Latest News

GPE announces $110 million in aid for education in Afghanistan

Published

on

(Last Updated On: )

The Global Partnership for Education (GPE) has said that it approved grants totaling $110 million to support children’s education in Afghanistan.

Over the next two years, the grants will help Afghan girls and boys continue to participate in community-based education and better learn basic skills in public schools. The programs are expected to reach more than 7.66 million children across the country, GPE said in a statement.

“We are very pleased to be able to continue our support to education in Afghanistan,” said Laura Frigenti, CEO of the Global Partnership for Education. “This funding, channeled through UNICEF and Save the Children, partners that have a lot of experience working in complex settings, will help the hardest-to-reach Afghan children to access the education they need to become productive members of society and build a better future,“ she added.

The $59.5 million grant overseen by UNICEF will ensure that children in remote and difficult to reach areas, especially girls, can continue to attend community-based classes, including by providing supplies and textbooks and supporting community teacher’s salaries. In addition, the program will provide new textbooks, teacher guides and other school supplies to around 15,000 public schools. Over 28,000 teachers and headmasters will receive training to strengthen teaching of math and reading as well as classroom management, GPE said.

The $50 million grant overseen by Save the Children will focus on community-based education, ensuring that girls and boys living in remote areas can continue to learn in safe spaces. This will include improvements to school buildings and rehabilitation of water and sanitation facilities, and procuring equipment and textbooks for classrooms. The grant will also train young women to become primary school teachers, according to GPE.

Latest News

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chief minister proposes permanent residence for Afghan refugees

Published

on

(Last Updated On: )

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur has proposed that Afghan refugees be granted permanent residence in Pakistan.

This comes as the Pakistani government is deporting Afghan refugees citing security concerns.

There are currently 2.1 million registered Afghan migrants in Pakistan, more than half of them in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.

Pakistani officials have repeatedly claimed that attacks in the country are planned on Afghan soil and that Afghan citizens have been involved in a number of attacks. The Islamic Emirate, however, has denied the claim, saying Afghanistan is not responsible for Pakistan’s “security failure”.

While the chief minister of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has called for permanent residence for Afghan refugees, its governor, Faisal Karim Kundi, has criticized the statement as “absurd.”

Kundi said the current security crisis in Pakistan is deeply linked to Afghanistan and 70 percent of recent attacks in Pakistan have been planned on Afghan soil.

He also claimed that weapons left over from foreign forces in Afghanistan are now being used against Pakistan, a claim the Islamic Emirate has previously denied.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Sixty Afghans rounded up in Rawalpindi and Islamabad

Published

on

(Last Updated On: )

After the expiry of a deadline for voluntary return to Afghanistan, authorities in Pakistan on Thursday arrested 60 illegal Afghan migrants from different areas of Rawalpindi and Islamabad during a search operation, local media reported.

The Express Tribune reported that 22 migrants were arrested in Islamabad and 38 in Rawalpindi.

All of them were later transferred to a camp in the Haji Camp area.

After their biometric and registration at the camp, these people will be shifted to the Landi Kotal area in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa from where they will be deported to Afghanistan through Torkham border crossing.

Pakistan had set a March 31 deadline for all illegal residents, including Afghan Citizen Card (ACC) holder, to voluntarily return to their home countries.

Afghans holding Afghan Citizen Cards (ACC) — issued by Pakistan authorities and held by 800,000 people, according to the United Nations — face deportation to Afghanistan after the deadline.

More than 1.3 million Afghans who hold Proof of Registration (PoR) cards from the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, are also to be moved outside the capital Islamabad and neighbouring city Rawalpindi.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Senior Iranian diplomat in Kabul for talks with Muttaqi

Published

on

(Last Updated On: )

Acting Foreign Minister of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) Amir Khan Muttaqi on Thursday met with senior Iranian Foreign Ministry official Mohammad Reza Bahrami Taqanaki for talks on bilateral relations, water issues, Afghan refugees and recent developments.

According to a statement issued by Afghanistan’s Foreign Ministry, Muttaqi told the Iranian official that bilateral relations were expanding and emphasized that both countries should make the most of the existing opportunities.

Bahrami Taqanaki, who is Iran’s new Assistant Minister and Director General for South Asian Affairs at the Foreign Ministry, said in turn that after the Iranian foreign minister’s visit to Kabul, a new chapter in bilateral relations has opened up.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi appointed Bahrami Taqanaki, a seasoned diplomat with extensive experience in regional affairs, to the post in February.

Bahrami Taqanaki has served two terms as Iran’s ambassador to Afghanistan. He also held key consular positions, serving as Iran’s Consul General in Jalalabad during the Islamic Emirate’s previous rule and in Kandahar in 2002.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Ariana News. All rights reserved!