Connect with us

Latest News

Five million Afghans displaced due to war in past two years

Ariana News

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: July 8, 2021)

State Ministry for Natural Disaster Management said Thursday that at least five million Afghans have been displaced due to conflict in the country in the past two years.

According to the ministry, amid escalating violence by the Taliban in the past two months alone, 32,384 families have been displaced in 25 provinces, of which 20,000 have been assisted so far.

The State Minister for Disaster Management Ghulam Bahauddin Jilani said emergency operations have been rolled under difficult conditions by the Afghan government.

According to the minister, the escalation of violence by the Taliban has forced people to seek refuge in safer areas.

“We launched the emergency operation with all our might in 25 provinces and yesterday we addressed the IDPs in 17 provinces of the country,” Jilani said.

The ministry says 62,480 families have been displaced in the last six months, of which more than 30,000 have been displaced in the past two months.

The ministry says it needs 500 million Afghanis to care for these families.

“We need the humanitarian assistance of international organizations and donor countries to better address the displaced people,” Jilani added.

The current situation, the presence of a large number of IDPs, has put a lot of pressure on how government services are provided, while increasing competition for access to job opportunities in relatively safe cities, he said.

“It’s been a month since we were displaced, we lost everything,” said Nasrin, an IDP from Herat province.

“There was a war in our village, the planes bombed, and the Taliban came, we took some things and left some others and ran away,” said Bibi Mehri, another IDP from Balkh.

In addition, another challenge facing that the Ministry of Disaster Management is the displacement caused by drought.

Latest News

Sharp rise in displaced families fleeing conflict: UN report

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 31, 2021)

At least 330,000 people have been displaced in the last seven months due to an increase in conflict across Afghanistan, the UN reported Saturday.

“So far in 2021, 330,000 people have been displaced by conflict across Afghanistan. Another five million people remain displaced since 2012,” the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) reported.

According to the report, the fighting has also been reported in new areas in the northeast province of Kunar, displacing 20,000 people within the province, and Nangahar Province. 

“Nine UN and partner organizations’ teams are assessing needs in Kandahar. Last week, about 1,800 internally displaced people received food, relief items, and water and sanitation hygiene support as well as physiotherapy and cash assistance. In Kunar, UN and partner organizations are assessing needs and responding.

“Urgent needs include food, water, shelter, and health services,” the report said.

Maryam [not her real name] and her family are among an estimated 330,000 Afghans who have been newly displaced inside the country since the start of this year by an upsurge in violence. 

“There was war. Bombs were being dropped. My father was killed there, and a lot of my relatives were killed as well and we had to flee. I was responsible for my children and I didn’t want them to be killed. So, I came here with my elderly mother,” Maryam said.

“Our situation is very difficult. As you can see, we are all displaced. Our children need food. They would ask for anything, they are children, they don’t know whether we have it or not.”

“We want a normal life just like everyone else. I want my children to become something in Afghanistan, to become doctors, engineers, or something. That is my hope,” she stated.

As conflict intensifies in northern Afghanistan and other parts of the country, UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, warned of an imminent humanitarian crisis, saying failure to reach a peace agreement will see further displacement. 

Fahim Hamdard, Senior Field Assistant, UN Refugee Agency, stated: “Over the last year, families have been dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic, a devastating drought and now increased violence in the north and northeast regions is driving more people from their homes every day.”

Amid an overall increase in civilian casualties, the proportion of women and children affected by violence has risen sharply since January, adding to the toll Afghanistan’s decades-long conflict has taken on people like Maryam and her family. 

UNHCR and its partners are assisting newly displaced Afghans with emergency shelter, food, health care, water, and sanitation support, and cash assistance, but a shortage of funding means humanitarian resources are falling dramatically short.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Nuristan death toll rises to over 113 following deadly flash floods

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 31, 2021)

The death toll from last week’s flash floods in eastern Nuristan province has risen to 113, the Afghan Red Crescent Society said in a statement on Saturday.

According to the statement, 173 houses, 900 acres of agricultural land, 14 mills, eight bridges, one restaurant, 13 shops, four power stations, four vehicles and two military bases along with the drinking water system and 3,200 fruit trees were destroyed in the devastating floods that swept through Kamdesh district of the province of a Wednesday night.

“The Afghanistan Red Crescent Society, the only organization with access to Kamdesh, is sending a mobile health team and will provide temporary shelter,” the UN said in a statement.

The statement added that the UN is negotiating with a non-state armed group to get access to the area and will provide medical supplies, food, and other relief items.

“Afghan authorities will mobilize additional support from Kabul,” the statement added.

Sources said on Thursday the area was under Taliban control.

Continue Reading

Latest News

EU envoy says aid will be cut if Taliban seize power militarily

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: July 31, 2021)

Tomas Niklasson, Acting Special Envoy of the European Union for Afghanistan, says that the EU would not recognize a Taliban government if they manage a military takeover.

In an exclusive interview with Ariana News, Niklasson stated if the Taliban gain power through a military takeover the EU will cut its aid to Afghanistan and the country will be isolated.

“If the Taliban manage to take power by military means it would not be recognized by the EU, it would not be recognized by most countries in the region.”

“It would become an isolated regime and isolated Afghanistan,” he noted.

Niklasson also raised his concerns over the current situation in Afghanistan, calling on the warring parties to show flexibility in order to end the ongoing conflict in the country.

“We are clearly very very concerned by the situation. We try to do what we can to remain engaged in Afghanistan, to continue to provide development assistance, to remain engaged politically to provide humanitarian assistance as long as needed.”

The diplomat stated that the Taliban has no clear proposal in the peace talks with the Afghan Republic’s team. He added that the Taliban want to seek more concessions in the talks via their military campaign.

“The Taliban have not really put on the table a clear proposal of what they want and that is part of the negotiations and that will be a necessary next step,” he stated.

“If they put Islamic Emirate, the design of the 1990s or any Islamic Emirate on the table, no, it would not be acceptable but it could be a start for negotiation,” the EU Envoy said.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Ariana News. All rights reserved!