Connect with us

Regional

Delaying the pullout of American troops would make no difference in Afghanistan: Obama

Ariana News

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: August 20, 2014)

url

Barack Obama, President of the United State has said that delaying the pullout of American troops from Afghanistan would make no difference there as long as the country did not overcome its political rifts.

Mr. Obama’s comments were particularly pointed, given that Afghanistan’s leadership has been paralyzed for months after a disputed election to replace President Hamid Karzai.

A senior American official said, “People have said, ‘Doesn’t this show that you should never take the troops out of Afghanistan?’ ” “He said to response ‘No, it actually points to the imperative of having political accommodation. There’s a limit to what we can achieve absent a political process.’ ”

Meanwhile, NATO secretary general, Andres Fogh Rasmussen said that signing the security accord Kabul-Washington and between Kabul-NATO for the training mission is a precondition.

However, Rasmussen assured that the security accord will be signed but he warned that if the security agreement not signed, cancelation of the NATO’s training mission will be an option.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Featured

Heavy clashes in Kandahar after Taliban move in to take over districts

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: October 31, 2020)

Heavy clashes between the Afghan National Security and Defense Forces (ANSDF) are underway in the Arghandab district of southern Kandahar province, officials confirmed Saturday evening.

The clashes broke out five days ago after a large number of insurgents attacked dozens of security outposts in Arghandab, Panjwai, and Zherai districts, they said.

Security officials stated that dozens of Taliban militants have been killed in skirmishes but they did not provide details about casualties among the Afghan forces.

Jamal Nasir Barikzai, a spokesman for Kandahar police told Ariana News that at least 75 Taliban fighters have been killed in these districts so far.

“The Taliban use civilian houses (as shields) therefore our operations are underway with full caution to avoid civilian casualties,” Barikzai added.

Meanwhile, the clashes have also displaced dozens of families. They stated that they have left everything behind and there is no hope of returning as “our houses and gardens are being used as strongholds.”

The security officials, however, stated that not only are ground operations underway but troops are getting air support to help clear the province of Taliban insurgents.

Continue Reading

Featured

US Forces reject accusations of violating Doha agreement after Wardak airstrike

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: October 26, 2020)

Colonel Sonny Leggett, spokesman for US Forces Afghanistan, on Monday rejected claims by the Taliban that Sunday night’s airstrike against the insurgent group was in contravention of the Doha agreement.  

In a post on Twitter Leggett said: “USFOR-A conducted a targeted strike in Nerkh, Wardak last night- in defense of the ANDSF and in accordance with the US-TB Agreement- killing 5 Taliban fighters. 

“We reject the allegations of violating the agreement and of killing innocent Afghans,” he said. 

This comes after the Taliban accused the US earlier Monday of repeatedly violating the agreement which was signed in February in Doha. 

The group’s spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid tweeted Monday: “In recurrent violation of the Doha agreement, American invaders carried out a drone strike in Durrani area of Nerkh district Wardak dusk time Sunday resulting in 3 innocent children martyred.”

The Ministry of Defense meanwhile issued a statement saying at least 26 Taliban members had been killed and four others wounded in clashes in Sayedabad and Nima Wardak districts in the province. 

The MoD did not however mention anything about a US airstrike. 

Continue Reading

Regional

IED blast kills nine, wounds two in Ghazni

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: October 24, 2020)

At least nine civilians including – three women – were killed Saturday morning when a roadside mine hit a civilian’s vehicle, police confirmed.

According to Ghazni police, the incident occurred around 09:00 am local time in the Kotal-e Rawza area close to Ghazni city.

All the victims were civilians, police said.

Meanwhile, Police said that when the forces wanted to provide assistance and transfer the victims, the police Humvee hit by another roadside mine in the area and as the result, two policemen were wounded.

Ghazni police blame the Taliban for the incident, but the Taliban did not comment yet.

Local residents however said that at least 11 people killed in the blast. 

Continue Reading

Trending