Latest News
AWCC expands communication, internet services in southern Afghanistan
The Afghan Wireless Communication Company (AWCC) has expanded communication and high speed internet services to remote parts of southern Afghanistan.
AWCC officials said on Thursday people can now access 3G and 4G internet as well as communication services in five districts of Helmand its provincial capital Lashkargah, Spin Boldak of Kandahar, Zabul capital Qalat and Uruzgan.
The AWCC is the only communications company that provides communication services in remote areas of Afghanistan.
AWCC officials also said that an internet cable between Kandahar and Uruzgan provinces that had been inactive for several years is active again.
“Following the recent developments, we tried to expand our services for people of Afghanistan, and went to remote areas, for instance, five district of northern Helmand, to provide communication services. We launched 4G services in Lashkargah of Helmand province. We launched 4G services in Spin Boldak which is a port town. We launched 4G in Zabul capital Qalat,” said Aliullah Sarwari, the director of AWCC.
AWCC officials said that they will continue to expand coverage of its services. According to them, expanding coverage and providing more services will also bring job opportunities for citizens.
“Our goal is to provide nationwide services for all the people of Afghanistan, facilitate balanced development and job opportunities for the people. We are committed to this and we will continue to provide services in Afghanistan,” he said.
Meanwhile, residents have welcomed the launch of AWCC’s communication and internet services in their localities.
This comes after AWCC and Afghan Post recently signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) for facilities in the fields of communication, internet and postal services.
Latest News
Magnitude 5.8 earthquake shakes northeastern Afghanistan
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) has reported that a magnitude 5.8 earthquake occurred tonight in northeastern Afghanistan.
The earthquake struck at 5:39 PM local time in Afghanistan, with a reported depth of 90.7 kilometers.
So far, there have been no reports of casualties or damage resulting from the incident.
Latest News
Afghanistan facing hunger crisis, says WFP chief Aylieff
John Aylieff, World Food Programme (WFP) Country Director in Afghanistan, says the hunger crisis has gripped the country in a catastrophic manner, and that the organization does not have the capacity to assist all those in need due to budget shortfalls.
This United Nations official, in an interview with the Associated Press, referring to the reduction in humanitarian aid to the people of Afghanistan, said that malnutrition in the country—especially among women and children—has reached its highest level. He stressed that the current figures represent the highest recorded level of malnutrition in Afghanistan, now putting the lives of four million children at risk.
He added: “The cuts in aid have been devastating. Of the four million hungry and malnourished children, we are now forced to turn away three out of every four because we do not have enough funding. We are still facing a catastrophic food crisis, as two-thirds of the country’s population are experiencing very severe acute malnutrition or are at crisis levels.”
Meanwhile, some experts in the country consider the causes of Afghanistan’s widespread hunger crisis to be multiple, adding that the reduction in aid is one of the main factors behind the worsening crisis.
It is worth noting that, in addition to the decline in international assistance to the people of Afghanistan, climate change—including consecutive droughts—lack of employment opportunities, and the large-scale return of migrants are considered major factors contributing to the humanitarian crisis in the country.
Latest News
Indian customs seize Chinese walnuts falsely declared as Afghan
Indian authorities at Mumbai’s Nhava Sheva Port have detained 46 containers after finding that walnuts imported from China were falsely declared as Afghan produce, The Hindu Business Line reported.
The ship, which reportedly departed Bandar Abbas Port, has been held for more than two weeks. A circular from the Customs Intelligence Unit says one person has been arrested, with tax-evasion losses estimated at 50 crore rupees (approx. $5.4 million). No importer has yet claimed the shipments.
Indian trade sources say misdeclaring walnuts from United States and Chile as Afghan goods is a long-running practice to exploit SAFTA’s zero-duty benefit, as India imposes 100% duty on walnut imports to protect growers in Jammu and Kashmir.
Officials say traders forged transit documents in India’s E-Sanchit/ICES system to fabricate an Afghan route, while the packaging still carried Chinese markings.
-
Latest News3 days agoIEA releases three Pakistani soldiers to mark Ramadan
-
Latest News3 days agoAfghanistan’s Chief of Armed Forces underscores readiness and equipment for national defense
-
Latest News3 days agoGrateful to Afghans and Ulama for obeying the Islamic Emirate, says Hibatullah Akhundzada
-
Latest News2 days agoAfghanistan welcomes investment and technology partnerships with India
-
Latest News5 days agoAfghanistan’s defense ministry unveils new military uniforms for armed forces
-
Business5 days agoWith Torkham closed, trade losses mount
-
Sport2 days agoAfghan Peaks founder climbs Aconcagua to promote Afghanistan’s mountain potential
-
Sport5 days agoAfghanistan stay alive in T20 World Cup with crucial win over UAE
