A huge explosion hit an international organization in the capital of Afghanistan on Thursday.
Ministry of Interior (MoI) said in a statement that the blast has targeted the Counterpart International Organization located in Shahr-e-Naw area of Kabul.
The Taliban insurgent group claimed responsibility for the attack.
At the initial hours of the incident, Emergency hospital said it has received 15 patients from Kabul attack.
However, the exact number of casualties was unknown as the fighting continued for hours between the assailants and Afghan special forces.
Sounds of consecutive blasts heard as police special units started the clearing operation.
Later on, the Interior Ministry said in a statement that security forces will detonate a vehicle laden with explosives left at the scene of today’s attack.
Nearly six hours after the attack, Nusrat Rahimi, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry said the attack ended after all the assailants were killed.
He added that nearly 200 people including the staff members of the international organization had been rescued by police special forces.
According to the Interior Ministry, five people including a woman were killed and 24 others wounded and four assailants were involved in the coordinated attack.
The attack comes as the U.S. and Taliban representatives continue the sixth round of peace talks in Doha, the capital of Qatar.
Meanwhile, the United Nation, the U.S. Embassy in Kabul and the Afghan government condemned the attack.
UN in Afghanistan said in a statement that the attack on Counterpart International Organization is deplorable.
The U.S. Ambassador to Kabul John R. Bass called the attack “senseless violence”. He added that the insurgent group targeted an organization that helps communities, trains journalists and supports Afghan people.
President Ashraf Ghani called it an “unforgivable crime, adding that the Taliban once again showed that they are acting against “the Islamic and Afghani values”.