Connect with us

World

3 Soldiers Killed in Militant Attack on Army Camp in Kashmir

Avatar

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: April 27, 2017)

india-kashmir_34929eb8-2afb-11e7-a28f-c563b2540923Three soldiers including an army captain were killed on Thursday when a group of militants stormed a garrison in south Kashmir’s Kupwara, a defense official said.

Two militants were also killed in the attack at the Panzgam area of Chowkibal, the army spokesperson said, adding, “Search ops (operations are) in progress.”

Sources said five injured soldiers have been shifted to a hospital in Srinagar.

PTI quoted official sources to identity the slain army officer as Captain Ayush.

The attackers, suspected to be fidayeen militants, sneaked into the camp before sunrise at around 4. Sources said the group of four militants are believed to have had crossed over from Pakistan.

The Associated Press quoted army spokesperson colonel Rajesh Kalia as saying that the militants used guns and grenades to target soldiers northwest of Srinagar.

The army cordoned off the entire area including a nearby forest area as bodies of only two militants have been retrieved so far.

The attack is suspected to have been carried out by the Pakistan-based outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad. However, there was no independent confirmation of the incident and no rebel group has issued any statement so far.

The attack came amid heightened tension across the valley since April 9, when eight people including seven students were killed by police and paramilitary forces during by-polls to the Srinagar Lok Sabha constituency.

The incident will also likely to further strain the already frayed India’s relations with Pakistan, whom New Delhi accuses of sheltering and supporting militant outfits targeting security personnel in Kashmir.

Last year, India carried out surgical strikes in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) and took out several militant launch pads. Pakistan, however, denies any Indian strike on its territory.

The strikes followed a string of attacks on defense install ions and army camps including one at Uri which had left 19 Indian soldiers dead in September last year.

Weeks later, seven soldiers, including two majors, were killed when militants dressed as policemen stormed another military camp in Jammu and Kashmir’s Nagrota.

On Wednesday, the Jammu and Kashmir government ordered internet service providers to block Facebook, Twitter and 20 other social media sites and online applications for one month “in the interest of maintenance of public order”.

The move came after several videos and photos depicting alleged abuses of Kashmiris by Indian security forces sparked outrage and fueled protests.

Students across Kashmir have been rallying this month at anti-India demonstrations, facing off against heavily armed riot police and paramilitary soldiers.

Written by: Hindustan Times

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest News

NASA postpones astronaut launch due to bad weather

Avatar

Published

on

(Last Updated On: May 28, 2020)

NASA aborted its planned mission – the first crewed launch from American soil to the International Space Station – on Wednesday due to bad weather conditions.

The organization said in a tweet that the launch was scrubbed due to weather. “There were no issues with the Falcon 9 rocket and Crew Dragon spacecraft.”

The mission was called off just 17 minutes before the launch.

“Today’s Launch America attempt was an instantaneous launch window. Due to orbital mechanics, we need to make sure that at the time we launch, we are able to reach the Space Station on time and accurately. Because of this, we could not wait for clear weather today,” NASA said.

NASA said that it would resume an attempt to launch the Demo-2 mission at around 3:22 local time on Saturday, May 30. NASA astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley will fly on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft.

“A new era of human spaceflight is set to begin as American astronauts once again launch on an American rocket from American soil to the International Space Station as part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program,” NASA said in a statement.

NASA added that the mission will be SpaceX’s – a private American aerospace manufacturer and space transportation services company – final test flight for NASA’s Commercial Crew Program and will provide critical data on the performance of the Falcon 9 rocket, Crew Dragon spacecraft, and ground systems, as well as in-orbit, docking, and landing operations.

“The test flight also will provide valuable data toward certification of SpaceX’s crew transportation system for regular flights carrying astronauts to and from the space station,” the statement said. 

Continue Reading

Latest News

Trump seeks full withdrawal from Afghanistan

Avatar

Published

on

(Last Updated On: May 27, 2020)

US President Donald Trump has reiterated full US troops’ withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Speaking to the reporters on Tuesday, Trump said that he wants to bring American soldiers back home from Afghanistan.

“We’re there 19 years, and, yeah, I think that’s enough…We can always go back if we have to. If we have to go back, we’ll go back and we’ll go back raging. And there, we’ll go back as warriors, fighters,” Trump said.

Trump did not set a date for the full pullout from Afghanistan, saying, “but as soon as reasonable.”

The US signed a deal for bringing peace in Afghanistan on February 29, in Qatar.

According to the deal, the U.S. troops roughly reduced to 8,600 in Afghanistan, and the country committed to full drawdown within 14 months after the agreement.

“We’re having very positive talks. We’re having very positive talks. We want to bring our soldiers back home. We want to bring them back home. And we’re not only talking about there, but we’re talking about other countries also,” US President noted.

As a part of the US-Taliban deal, the Afghan government released 900 Taliban prisoners on Tuesday, bringing the total released to 2000, a move forward to promote the Afghan peace process.

The Taliban welcomed the government’s actions, saying that the group “will release a remarkable number of prisoners soon.”

“We’re dealing with the Taliban. We’re dealing with the president. And the president now has gotten themselves straightened out with the two presidents. But we’re dealing with — because they had — as you know, they had competing factors — and factions,” Trump said.

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Masks too dangerous for infants: Japanese health experts

Avatar

Published

on

(Last Updated On: May 26, 2020)

Face masks should not be used by children under the age of two as it can make breathing difficult, the Japan Pediatric association said.

According to Japan’s coronavirus guidelines, the Japanese should wear masks to prevent contracting with the virus, but the medical organization has warned parents that masks can be too dangerous for infants.

“It is possible that masks make it difficult for infants to breathe and increase the risks of heatstroke,” the organization said in leaflet quoted by CNN.

The leaflet said, “Masks are not necessary for children under two.”

The newborns’ respiratory systems have narrower airways, wearing face masks can make it difficult more difficult for infants to breathe and can place a heavy burden on their hearts.

Japan lifted the state emergency across the country on Monday after it witnessed a decrease in the number of infections in the country.

So far, 16,581 people have been infected with the COVID-19 in Japan and 830 others have died of the virus.

Continue Reading

Trending