Connect with us

Regional

3 jailed for rape, murder charges in Faryab

Ariana News

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: January 16, 2013)

An appellant court in northwestern Faryab province has sentenced three men to jail for rape and murder charges.

Two men have been sentenced each for 16 years in jail, one for rape of a girl and the other one because of killing his father-in-law, chief of appellant court Muhammad Sharif Fani announced.

He added the third one was sentenced to 14 years of confinement in jail for helping to plan a murder.

However, Fani declared the court decision was not final and the defendants could appeal against their imprisonment.

In the meantime, the lawyer of the man accused of raping the girl condemned the court decree and asked for a review of the case.

During the last year, the appellant court of Faryab reviewed nearly six hundred cases. The cases were mostly related to armed robberies, murders and violence against women.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Featured

MoD to investigate claims of civilian casualties in Kunduz airstrikes

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 19, 2020)

The Afghan Ministry of Defense has confirmed security forces targeted a Taliban base in Khan Abad district in Kunduz province on Saturday and said an investigation will be conducted into subsequent reports of civilian casualties. 

But the airstrikes were carried out in accordance with “active defense” procedures, the MoD stated. 

The ministry said in a statement that “more than 30 Taliban, including two commanders named Qari Abdulrazeq and Mawlawi Abbas, were killed.”

In addition, eight others, including two commanders named Faizani and Qari Ebrahim, were wounded.

Vehicles and a large cache of weapons and ammunition were destroyed in the airstrikes, the statement read. 

Initial reports indicated no civilians were harmed in the operation but the MoD stated they were aware of subsequent reports to the contrary. 

According to the ministry, these claims will be investigated. 

“ANDSF take allegations of civilian harm seriously and these claims will be investigated,” the statement read.

According to Fatima Aziz, a member of parliament who represents Kunduz, there had been two airstrikes. 

“The first strike hit the Taliban base but the second one caused civilian casualties as they had gathered at the bombed site.” 

Continue Reading

Featured

Ghani condemns attack on yet another government official

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 19, 2020)

President Ashraf Ghani has condemned the attack on Ayub Gharwal, deputy head of Paktia Provincial Council, who was gunned down on Saturday in Gardez city. 

In a statement issued by the Presidential Palace (ARG), Ghani reiterated his call to the Taliban to call for a humanitarian and lasting ceasefire to ensure the security of civilians. 

The president also called for an investigation into the killing of Gharwal. 

Paktia officials said the incident happened at about 5.30am in Gardez city while Gharwal was on his way to Gardez University. 

Officials said Gharwal was seriously wounded in the attack and later died in hospital from gunshot wounds. 

Gharwal’s death is another in a string of targeted attacks on high-profile public figures and government officials. 

Earlier this month, Vice President Amrullah Saleh was also targeted in an attack in Kabul. 

Saleh escaped with minor injuries but at least 10 people were killed in the roadside bombing that was intended to kill Saleh. 

No group has yet claimed responsibility for Saturday’s attack on Gharwal. 

Continue Reading

Latest News

Taliban attack security outposts in Nangarhar, killing 20

Ariana News

Published

on

(Last Updated On: September 17, 2020)

The Taliban attacked the Afghan security outposts in eastern Nangarhar province on Wednesday night, killing at least 20 Afghan forces, a local official confirmed.

Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor told Ariana News, the clashes between the Afghan forces and the insurgents started after a large number of Taliban fighters stormed several security outposts in Sherzad, Khogyani, and Hisarak districts of the province.

At least 20 Afghan forces – including 12 policemen, three local policemen, and five members of public uprising forces – were killed and 30 others wounded in the battle, Khogyani said.

Khogyani, however, stated that the Taliban have also sustained heavy casualties.

He added that in the counter-attacks at least 30 Taliban insurgents were also killed and several more wounded.

The Taliban has not commented yet in this regard.

It comes as the Afghan government and the Taliban delegations are in Doha to negotiate a political resolution for ending the long-term war in the country.

The two sides held their first formal session on Tuesday evening and reached a consensus over the code of conduct and on moving forward to complete the working principals pertaining to talks going forward.

Meanwhile, the Afghan peace negotiating team leader, Masoom Stanekzai at his opening speech called on the Taliban to put an end to violence.

“The biggest and most important priority of our people is to stop the bloodshed in the country,” Stanekzai said.

Continue Reading

Trending