Two Romanian soldiers were killed and another was wounded on Saturday in an insider or “green-on-blue” attack, when two members of a local police unit they were training opened fire on them before themselves being killed, officials said.
Resolute Support, the NATO mission in Afghanistan, confirmed that two soldiers were killed today “when two individuals wearing Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) uniforms opened fire at an ANDSF compound in Southern Afghanistan,” according to a press release.
Coalition troops “returned fire and killed the shooters,” Resolute Support noted. The NATO mission did not disclose number of attackers who were killed or their affiliation or motivation, the location of the “incident,” or the slain soldier’s home country.
“We continue to train, advise and assist the ANDSF, and do not view this incident as representative of the positive relationship between our forces,” Resolute Support stated.
The Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed two of their soldiers were killed and another was wounded “following an incident that occurred today near the city of Kandahar, while executing a mission to train the Afghan police.”
Romania contributes 588 of the 12,486 troops operating under Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan.
The last recorded insider attack was on April 2015, when an Afghan soldier killed a US soldier and wounded two more in an attack at the governor’s compund in Jalalabad, Nangarhar.
On eve of peace talks, Ghani urges Taliban to stop planting roadside mines
President Ashraf Ghani on Thursday condemned the roadside mine incident in Kandahar earlier in the day and called on the Taliban to stop the violence and end their practice of planting IEDs.
In a series of tweets, Ghani condemned the incident and stated that this comes as the Taliban are “on the eve of peace and direct negotiations with the Afghan negotiating team.
اعلامیۀ مطبوعاتی در پیوند به تلفات ملکی ناشی از انفجار ماین طالبان در کندهار
ارگ، کابل: با تاسف فراوان امروز در منطقه زلخان ولسوالی پنجوایی ولایت کندهار در اثر انفجار ماین جاسازی شدۀ گروه طالبان، به شمول یک کودک، تعدادی از زنان و شمار دیگری از هموطنان ما شهید و زخمی گردیدند.
— ارگ (@ARG_AFG) August 13, 2020
“The Taliban should avoid violence specifically roadside mines which are the main cause of civilian casualties, and in order to reach a dignified and lasting peace, they should accept people and Loya Jirga’s voice.”
The president said the incident, which happened early Thursday in the Zalkhan area of Panjwai district of Kandahar province, resulted in a number of women, a child, and other Afghans being killed and wounded “as a result of a mine planted by the Taliban”.
Ghani expressed his deep condolences and sympathy to the families of those killed and wished the wounded a speedy recovery.
The incident happened when a vehicle, carrying a number of civilian passengers, hit a roadside IED.
This comes after at least eight civilians were killed in another roadside mine explosion in the same province on Sunday.
27 Taliban militants killed in Kandahar clashes
At least 27 Taliban militants were killed in ground clashes and airstrike in southern Kandahar province, police confirmed.
Jamal Nasir Barikzai, a spokesman for Kandahar police told Ariana News that the insurgents attacked security outposts in Marouf district of the province on around 10 p.m. Thursday.
According to Barikzai, seven militants were killed in the counterattack.
After clashes intensified US forces carried out an airstrike in the area, resulted in 20 deaths of Taliban fighters, he added.
The Afghan forces seized a Humvee vehicle, a number of weapons, mines, and ammo during the clashes.
Meanwhile, two policemen have been killed and six more injured in the incident.
Earlier this week, 30 Taliban fighters were killed in a US forces airstrike and police ambush in the province, Tadin Khan, police chief of Kandahar confirmed.
The Taliban yet make a comment about the incident.
25 Taliban militants killed, wounded in Kandahar clashes
At least 13 Taliban militants were killed and 12 others wounded in clashes with Afghan security forces in southern Kandahar province, police confirmed.
Jamal Nasir Barikzai, a spokesman for Kandahar police told Ariana News that the Taliban fighters attacked security outposts in Zherai and Takhta pul districts of the province on Tuesday which faced resistance by Afghan forces.
The militants stormed a security outpost in Zherai at around midnight Tuesday, in which at least 8 insurgents were killed and three others injured, Barikzai said.
He added that one policeman was killed and another was wounded in the shooting exchange.
Meanwhile, at least five Taliban fighters were killed and 9 others wounded as the group attacked a security outpost in the Bedak area of Takhta pul district on Tuesday night, Barikzai said, adding no security forces were harmed in the clash.
In a separate incident, the Taliban militants attacked an Afghan army outpost in Taluka area of Kunduz city on Tuesday, as a result, five soldiers were killed and 7 others wounded, a source said.
The spokesman for the provincial governor confirmed the attack but did not provide further details on casualties.
The Taliban militant group yet to make a comment in this regard.
Khalilzad ‘would welcome’ talks with Iran to help end conflict
Security chiefs discuss surging levels of violence in the country
Nominated US envoy to Pakistan says cooperation critical in peace efforts
Study finds growing gaps in equality for women in conflict zones
UN calls for global action against spread of COVID-19 misinformation
Iran launches trade routes through Afghanistan for Central Asia
Kabul peace talks team gets red-carpet welcome in Doha
PEACE BRIEFS: Timeline of intra-Afghan negotiations
Afghanistan, Uzbekistan to sign power transmission contract
Afghan, Uzbek officials sign power transmission agreement
Morning News Show: Peace negotiations between Afghan gov’t and Taliban
Tahawol: Intra-Afghan peace talks
Sola: Doha intra-Afghan Talks discussed
Zerbena: Poverty rate remains high in Afghanistan
Morning News Show Part2: Concerns over limitation of access to information
- Featured3 days ago
Violence intensifies across the country, despite peace talks
- Featured5 days ago
Khalilzad welcomes UN Security Council’s support of peace process
- Featured4 days ago
MoD discovers and defuses over 4,000 IEDs in past six months
- Featured5 days ago
Former UNAMA chief warns peace talks ‘will not be easy’
- Featured4 days ago
Peace talks teams ‘making progress’ after meeting to discuss contentious issues
- COVID-194 days ago
India’s COVID-19 tally surges past 5.4 million mark
- Featured2 days ago
Three suspects identified in public beating of two women in Kabul
- Featured4 days ago
Atmar, Wilson discuss peace process, urgent need for ceasefire