Suicide bombing claimed 20 lives in Khost
Thu Jun 21, 11:03 am
Twenty people were killed and more than 40 others wounded after a suicide bomber detonated his explosives targeting a joint NATO-Afghan troop convoy in southeastern Khost province.
The incident took place around 11:30am Wednesday when a suicide attacker blew himself up near Afghan and NATO patrol in Spin Jumat area of Khost City, said Brig. Gen. Sardar Mohammad Zazai, provincial police chief.
He said foreign forces were also present at the scene, but so far, NATO officials have not commented on the death toll of foreign forces.
Eleven dead bodies and sixteen injured were taken from the incident place to the civil hospital of Khost, where two of the wounded succumbed to the injuries, hospital officials confirmed.
An official of a private hospital in Khost said they also received six bodies, including bodies of two policemen and more than twenty wounded. He added women and children were also among the injured ones.
Four members of a family were also among the victims, witnesses said.
This suicide attack came a day later after the Defense Ministry announced the launch of countrywide operation for a better security in the country.
President Karzai in a statement has strongly condemned the attack, saying the perpetrators of the attack were the enemies of Islam and Afghans.
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for this inhumane attack.