Afghanistan wants early takeover of security: Karzai
Fri Mar 16, 3:00 pm
Afghan President Hamid Karzai has asked US to move the international forces out of the Afghan villages and deploy them in their bases.
President Karzai in a meeting with US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta on Thursday called for accelerating the transfer of security responsibilities to the Afghan forces. He said the transition process should complete one year ahead of 2014.
“Afghan forces are now ready to take on all security responsibilities. So that we want the process to be completed on 2013” President Karzai said.
During the meeting, Leon Panetta lamented the brutal killing of 16 civilians in Kandahar, saying his country efforts to quicken and successfully complete the transition process.
The program of transferring security responsibilities from NATO forces to the Afghan troops was started last year and now about half of Afghanistan is under control of Afghan security forces.