Breaking News

MoD Stops Offensive in Restive Sar-e-Pul for Unknown Reasons: Sources

(Last Updated On: May 15, 2017 5:12 pm)

34533443Afghan Defense Ministry has stopped offensive operations in restive Sar-e-Pul province for unknown reasons, sources told Ariana News Monday.

Sar-e-Pul is one of the insecure provinces in north of Afghanistan which is “seriously” under the threat of the Taliban and other insurgent groups.

Kohistanat district in the province is under control of the Taliban since two years and the group has 90 percent control on Suzma district as well as 50 percent control on Sancharak district.

Gusfandi district and center of the province are also under the threat of the militants.

Moreover, a week ago, two suspicious choppers landed in Sayad district of the province which is the stronghold of the Taliban and reportedly equipped the insurgents.

“The situation concerned us; solutions should be sought soon,” A member of the provincial Council, Mohammad Ali Hakimi said.

Following the matter, Senator Mohammad Azim Qawash said the situation is getting worse in the province and further security forces should be deployed.

The move by the Defense Ministry comes as previously the Army Chief of Staff has pledged on continuation of the offensives in the province.

About Ariana News

Check Also

U.S. Envoy Meets Pakistani Foreign Minister After Trump New Policy

(Last Updated On: August 23, 2017 9:20 pm)U.S. Ambassador has briefed Pakistani Foreign Minister about …